Obama's Speech on Race

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by toonces, Mar 19, 2008.

1. toonces

toonces Member

Not to get too political here, but yesterday I read Barack Obama's speech on race and the Reverend Wright, and it was one of the most powerful speeches I have ever read. I had read and heard soundbites in places, but the soundbites do not do justice at all to reading or watching the entire piece.

The speech had extra resonance to me as I had a difficult discussion with my dad last weekend about how Obama could go to Rev. Wright's church for 20 years, but I think the speech answered his fears perfectly.

You can view or read it at http://my.barackobama.com/hisownwords or other non-partisan sites like CNN or YouTube.

2. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Non-Partisan???

toonces,
    If you really think CNN (or any other) members of the press are non-partisan, then you and I need to have a conversation about this bridge I'm selling.
    Soon, please!!!

Billy C

3. Fredguy

Fredguy New Member

Cnn

Toonces...

CNN is non partisan???
    What is your definition of non-partisan ?

Fred

4. Moses

Moses Active Member

CNN Partisanship Doesn't Matter Here

All CNN did was to broadcast the speech without commentary. Even though the network may be (is) partisan, that had nothing to do with this post. Obama's speech will go down as one of the great speeches of all time.

5. Fredguy

Fredguy New Member

Obama

Here is a direct, unchanged quote from Mr. Obama. Read it carefully.

“My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you’ll join with me as we try to change it.” — Barack Obama

6. toonces

toonces Member

First of all, this has nothing to do with blackjack, which is why I am posting in the "Anything Else" thread. I had just read a very powerful speech that I know most people hadn't seen, and I wanted to share it with my friends.

Second, there is a difference between being having a liberal bias and being a partisan source. Partisan means that you openly advocate for a candidate. Whether CNN has a liberal bias is worth discussing (though probably not here), I feel pretty comfortable saying that CNN is not partisan for Obama. But again, as Moses pointed out...not the point.

The only reason I mentioned going to a non-partisan source was because I didn't want people to think they had to link to the Obama website to watch the clip.

But if you guys feel more comfortable going to Fox News for their "Fair and Balanced" coverage, I'm sorry. I tried to find a link to the transcript of the speech on their website, but couldn't find one. Instead, for you, I include a link to a "fair and balanced" (it says so right on the screen) transcript of Karl Rove's analysis of Obama's speech.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  7. toonces

toonces Member

Actually...no. Oh and he's not a muslim either.

8. bronco60

bronco60 Member

Apparently Fredguy thinks "greatest" is defined as "best possible".

9. tomlw

tomlw Member

Karl Rove

Karl Rove was brilliant as usual. Thanks for the link.

10. Fredguy

Fredguy New Member

Semantics

Apparently Bronco thinks "change" means "make better"

Like Castro changed Cuba etc.

11. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

You're Good!

Hey Fredguy,
    I'm impressed with your astuteness. If toonces and Moses would both take the trouble to reread my only post, besides this one, they will note that I didn't "exempt" any network. The only reason I mentioned CNN was because toonces did.
    I would suggest they BOTH reread his original post, also.
    Now, even though I have strong opinions, I don't think I'll go any farther here because politics AND religion are usually lose, lose things to discuss!

Billy C