Old Jokes Home:

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by Reachy, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Reachy

Reachy New Member

President Bush gets out of his helicopter
    in front of the White House carrying a baby
    pig under each arm.

The Marine guard snaps to attention,
    salutes, and says: "Nice pigs, sir."

Bush replies: "These are not pigs, these
    are Texan Razorback Hogs. I got one for
    Secretary of State Rice, and I got one
    for Defence Secretary Rumsfeld."

The Marine again snaps to attention,
    salutes, and says, "Nice trade, sir."

2. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

Reachy, Reachy, Reachy

You do understand American humor after all. :laugh: :D :)

3. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Big fan

I'm a big fan of American humour. In fact I'm a big fan of humour in general. I watch The Daily Show c\ Jon Stewart almost everyday (although I suspect a few on the forum might not like it ;) ). Big fan of the Simpsons, Family Guy, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld, Cheers, etc, and many of your stand-ups. In fact one of the funniest men ever was Bill Hicks and it was a tragedy when he died.

And now for something completely different...

Reachy

4. noman

noman Top Member

Benny Hill:

Reachy: While you have inhabited my soul with your comic preferences, don't discount the contributions of the title man or Monty Python.

It seems true humor finds the absurd in everything.

5. tgun

tgun Member

humor

And please don't forget Benny Hill, one of the greastest.

I like his type of humor because everyone can laugh together.

tgun

6. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

New signature

Reachy,
    I've made this my "signature" line in respect for English humor. What do you think? :)

7. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Humbled and chastened

That is fantastic toolman, I feel personally honoured. Are you a big fan of British comedy? Sometimes it doesn't translate (something to do with irony so I'm told :D ) but I understand many of our current comedy shows are cult hits on some of your minority channels.

I'm also thinking of reciprocating by inserting an American comedy signature line. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Reachy

8. noman

noman Top Member

Reachy:

Just for a start and sorry tool, don't mean to tread,.....how about....

"Eat my shorts!"

9. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

British Comedy

1) Not necessarily a big fan but I do enjoy selective comedies. Monty Python is of course #1 - what else. As to translation, some things are lost, of course, because of our different cultures. Many American's consider it "dry" humor, whatever that means.

2) British comedy shows appear mainly on our "public service" or "educational" over the air stations. There may be a cable channel or two that carries them but I don't know of any specific station. And yes, there is a cult for the programs although I am not part of it.

3) The only suggestion I can think of for a signature that is related to American comedy is by the deceased comedian Rodney Dangerfield:
    "I don't get no respect"
    He used this line in every comedy skit he did. I'll always remember one of his jokes in particular:
    I was a ugly kid growing up. Once I got separated from my parents in an amusement park. So I found a security guard and told him my problem. He said "I don't know kid, they could be hiding anywhere" :laugh: ​
    And of course a 2 part:
    I went to a wedding at a nudest colony. No question about who the best man was. :laugh:

The wedding couple couldn't afford a formal reception so they had a large picnic instead. Ya, they even had a 3-legged race and guess what - the "best man" didn't even need a partner. :laugh: ​

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  10. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

We need Reachy

POLITICS: The more things change, the more they remain the same. Names change but that's about it. Anyway, I get my fill from the news so let's have a little fun to take the edge off. First thing that comes to mind is ------- REACHY!!!! ----- who else. :D

So Reachy, what do you think of the suggestion I made yesterday for your signature? :confused:

11. Reachy

Reachy New Member

You called?

Toolman:

In your honour I shall add you suggestion to my signature.

Here's another really old one for you...

A man and a friend are playing golf one day at their local golf course. One of the guys is about to chip onto the green when he sees a long funeral procession on the road next to the course. He stops in mid-swing, takes off his golf cap, closes his eyes, and bows down in prayer. His friend says: “Wow, that is the most thoughtful and touching thing I have ever seen. You truly are a kind man.” The man then replies: “Yeah, well we were married 35 years.”

Cheers

Reachy

12. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Safe Ground

Again combining politics and humour, but hopefully with little chance of offending anybody, I saw a great documentary on TV yesterday. It was about the role that jokes played in the Soviet block during the communist era. Essentially, it was saying that telling jokes about how bad things were was about the only mechanism people had to cope, and to rebel on a small scale.

One of my favourites, as best I remember it ...

A man goes to buy some bread but has to join a long line*. After a couple of hours the line has hardly moved and the man along with everybody else is growing increasingly frustrated. "That's it!" he says. "I've had enough. I'm going to go to the Kremlin and I'm going to kill Gorbachev."

"Good idea." the others agree. "You go and do that."

Some time later the man returns. The line has moved on a little, but not much.

"Well?" the people say. "Did you do it? Did you kill Gorbachev?"

"No.", says the man. "The line there was even longer."

*'Queue' in English English, but I think that is the correct American English?

BTW Reachy and Andy, this was on BBC4, so it will probably be repeated at least a dozen times in the next few weeks! :)