Pioneer

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Barney Stone, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

I asked this on the Land Based forum and it wasnt answered, maybe this is a better place. Let me add a little more to my last hand question at Pioneer. First off I cant place the faces with the people, sorry and darn me for not going to the acquaintance part. I know I was at table 1 semi the lady Global Player/Jerry was in seat 2 and I think maybe JoeP was in seat 1. Another gentleman in seat 3 then me in 4. With three advancing and seat one being money leader and me more than a minimum bet infront of seats 2&3 I decided to take the low road, make 2 players win to keep me from advancing. My mind ran over the probability of two players winning and it came up with a better than .55 to my good. I looked at their faces and they didnt look that joyful after my bet so I felt confident. The cards were dealt and I acted first on a breaking hand went from 14 to 19, I think, with a dealer showing 9. The body language of seat 1 & 2 told me they were ok, seat three hit, I was looking for him to throw his cards, but he tucked. The dealer then busted. I might be way off the totals but this is what I remember now for last hand

1 = 610
    2 = 560
    3= 530
    me in seat 4 = 590 first to act and bet minimum

Thanks,
    Barney

>>
    I played in three tournaments this weekend in Laughlin. This was my first test in what I would call real tournaments as the only other try was at Riverside during first of May where I placed second. I am a student of Blackjack and the math/odds that control it and have been studying tournaments from sidelines for several months.

To start I entered the Edgewater mini where I won my prelim and semi tables but busted out on last hand trying to catch leaders during finals.

Pioneer, I was a little nervous but confident. I played well and made some good bets winning the table prelim. During the semis I felt I was playing well and holding near the seats 1-2-3 who were getting a little better cards, I was in seat 4 and seats 5 and 6 got bad cards busting out. Near the end I won an advantage bet placing me just above seats 2 and 3 and a bit below seat 1 the money leader. All of us were in the running. Unfortunate for me I had the button and had to bet first. Because the dealer was running warm and my spot was erratic with three advancing decided to take low side and bet minimum. The other three made perfect bets of course, and congrats to you. I would appreciate it if any of my opponents or anyone else would critic my last bet.

As for the Golden Nugget I played OK in prelim but placed third. Rebuy round was right after semi loss at Pioneer and I was a little tilted and couldnt make a comeback near end. I even accidently hit a breaking hand against a dealer breaking card on second or third hand losing $30....

Thanks for any replies...

Barney<<<<

2. Reachy

Reachy New Member

This has been discussed in other threads...

...I just cant remember which! If I remember rightly the concensus was that betting small on the last hand reduced the number of ways you can win. With the smaller bet it means that DD, surrenders, splits, etc become less useful because they are unlikely to change your relative BR position compared to others. If you bet 25 and your opponents bet 500 it's almost impossible to conceive that you are going to be able to split and DD enough times to catch up if you need to.

My usual caviat applies i.e. I've only been playing online for a couple of months so don't be suprised if the professionals on here correct me. Mind you occasionally I get it right!!!!:laugh:

Cheers

Reachy

3. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

Thanks Reachy

I think I should have held my lead over seats 2 and 3 plus a chip and bet the rest forcing all three players to bet big. I was playing a banker position with the min bet and warm dealer. To boot the dealer was showing a 9 when cards came out. It was a great experience.

Barney

4. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

on second thought..

Holding back my lead plus a chip wouldnt work, max bet was 500 and I had 590.... hmmmm. LOL