Poker tourneys vs Blackjack tourneys

Discussion in 'Ultimate Blackjack Tour' started by ptaylorcpa, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

Figured out why Poker players go all in when they play. They are used to playing accumulation, you keep your chips when you advance. It takes them a round till they figure out that you don't! If the dealer cooperates, letting them bust out is good strategy. If the dealer busts or someone just gets good cards they can build a huge lead! Seen some 300-400K bankrolls starting from 25K.

:(

2. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

I don't think it's just that

In poker you must win your opponents' chips. You can't advance except by making some big bets and winning.

In BJ you are up against the house, and the house has the edge, so you can win simply by losing less than your opponents lose. I think it takes a while for this concept to sink into the poker-playing psyche.

3. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Even Simpler

When poker players play MTT or simultaneous S&Gs they wait for an Ace and then go all in! It's also bravado; small bets are considered timid or "limping in". They want to be seen as big, strong, brave card players :joker:

Cheers

Reachy

4. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

That reminds me

On my one foray into poker on UltimateBet (a freeroll playing for UltimatePoints) I made it to the final table, was lying in 5th place and got AA. Went all-in pre-flop, got one caller (as I had hoped) and lost on the river, to finish 9th.