Private Messages vs Profile Visitor Messages

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by KenSmith, Mar 4, 2009.

?

Should we remove or keep the ability to post Profile Visitor Messages?

1. Profile Visitor Messages aren't useful, and the confusion isn't worth it. Blast 'em.

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. I like the ability to use Profile Visitor messages to create personal message areas. Keep 'em.

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Huh?

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

A few update versions ago, vBulletin added a new feature to the message board software that allows members to leave each other "Profile Visitor Messages" aka "Visitor Messages".

Quite a few members have been confused by this feature, mistaking it for Private Messages. There's a big difference.

Profile Visitor Messages are visible to anyone who visits a members Profile Page. Private messages are visible only to the sender and the receiver of the message.

This can easily cause some unintended publishing of information.

My question: Should I disable Profile Visitor Messages altogether? Is this a useful feature?

2. Pine Tree

Pine Tree New Member

Profile Visitor Messages

I vote to disable the Profile Visitor Message option. The unwary think they are sending a private message that will only be read by the recipient. It is a shock to learn that anyone who logs on to the recipient's profile can read that person's sent and received Profile Visitor Messages.

3. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Voting is 12 to 1 against, and I agree.
    I'll disable the profile public messages feature.
    Private messaging will remain available as before.