Probability of getting 3 or 4 bets out?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Reachy, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Just a quicky, just to check some numbers I'm not sure about. On the final hand what are the chances of a player getting 3 or 4 max bets out and winning all of them? So they would need to split and double or split and resplit....

I get 1.99% for 3 bets and 1.4% for 4 bets but I'm really not sure.

Cheers

Reachy

2. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Been over to LVA...?

Sounds like you've been over reading the LVA...LOL.
    A simular question (problem) was asked over there a few days back.

3. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Indeed...

Well spotted Tx!

But this is the only forum for tournament blackjack strategy teasers....

:)

Cheers

Reachy

4. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Persistant

Sorry to keep bumping this thread but I really, really want to know the answer!!!!

Cheers

Reachy

5. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

I really, really don't know

What method did you use to arrive at your answers?

It seems to me the difficulty would be to ensure that, having split, you pick the best hand to DD on (or you may need to choose between a DD and a re-split).

There's also the question of whether you follow Wong's advice to stand on any stiff if you need to win both bets of a split pair.

6. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Kiss

I first calculated the probability of being dealt a pair, which I put at around 15% (don't have my exact figures to hand), then took the figure for winning a hand, 44%, and winning any forced double which I've seen quoted at 31%, and multiplied them all together. I realise that this is an approximation and it underestimates the actual figure because it doesn't take account of the potential to resplit and other BJ specific effects. I will have another stab at it now and report my new figures...

I thought that some of the more mathematically inclined memebers would be able to knock this off fairly quickly and, as I said, I was being lazy.

Cheers

Reachy

7. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

I'd have thought the chances of winning a forced double would be significantly improved if you have the choice of which of two hands to double.

Actually, it occurs to me that this would be affected by whether the dealing procedure is to play out the first split hand before dealing the second card to the other hand, or after. If the other hand is currently composed of just a single card you don't know whether it will be a better or worse candidate for a DD than the current hand.