Report on Seattle trip

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by kirbyk, Jun 14, 2008.

1. kirbyk

kirbyk New Member

Spent the last week in the Emerald City attending a professional conference and played in five local tournaments. Note that I've posted a question in the Strategy section and would appreciate if you would read it also and offer some advice.

There are 1 or more tournaments every day although most begin play at 7PM so it's not easy to play more than 1 a day. A rental car is really needed and you could also take some ferry rides. Seattle traffic at rush hour is pretty bad, especially going south on I-5. Most tournaments had between 30-40 players.

Friday - Iron Horse Everett - $25 buy-in, 14 hands, chip count at 12 hands (most tournaments follow these rules due to the organizing efforts of Bob Swanson). Think I got $500 in chips. Also got 2 matchplays for $5 each and a $10 food comp. Unusual rules were Surrender and unlimited bet. Came in 2nd for $500 win and a $25 matchplay which I won - a great way to kick off the week.

Saturday - did the tourist thing - no tournaments

Sunday - Iron Horse Auburn - same rules and matchplays as Everett but no food comp. No surrender and $500 max bet. Went to semi-finals but busted out.

Monday - Great American Kent - $30 buy in, no matchplays or comps. Believe the same rules as Auburn. Significant difference is that top three advance and they have quarter-final rounds. Won first round but then busted out.

Tuesday - dinner with my nephew and his family, no tournaments

Wednesday - Skyway (1PM) the atypical tournament. Free buy-in for $500 of chips, but nearly everyone pays $15 for an extra $3000 in chips. No matchplay or comps. 10 hands with chip count at hand 8. $500 max bet and with high chip counts and only 10 hands, there were lots of max bets. Made it to semi-finals but then busted out. Iron Horse Auburn (7PM) - already reported. Another successful first round followed by a semi-final bust.

With matchplays and some unusual luck in one session I actually covered the buy-ins for all tournaments and still cleared $38 in regular play.