Secret Bet Quiz

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Monkeysystem, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

EBJ rules. Last hand, two advance, bet range 500 to 25K, surrender authorized. All three players have their secret available.

=>BR1 gabazillion, secret bet
    BR2 24,750, secret bet
    You 22,250, secret bet (?)

BR2 has been fairly aggressive and has not done a thing to make you believe he's ever read a word of tournament blackjack strategy literature.

a) What would your secret bet be?

b) Would your secret bet be any different if BR1's bankroll were 40,000 instead of gabazillion?

c) Would your secret bet be any different than that in question a) if BR2 were a strong player?

2. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

4,500, which will cover his min win even with a DD. I can't take the high, so need to be sneakier. If the guy really is an idiot, he might hit that infamous 1/2 Bet button. My losing DD to his losing 1/2 bet OR to his losing 22,000 bet still works nicely.
    No. He is still far enough ahead that it'd take a minor miracle to catch him since he can bet enough to even cover my BJ without breaking a sweat.
    Yes. I'm going to put strong player BR2 on a 4,500 bet, so his straight win puts him at 29,250. While my 11K half-stack bet isn't quite enough to cover his DD, it does cover a win-win and gives me the split option. This, of course, makes ME the idiot hitting the 1/2 Bet button! :laugh:

3. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

a) I like 18,500. A BJ for me beats an all-in win for BR2. Failing that, if it looks unlikely that I will win my hand, I can surrender and beat BR2 if they bet 1/2 and lose.

b) 18,500 is enough to beat a BR1 push of 40,000. If I strongly suspect that BR1 might bet 500, then it might be worth betting a little more, in order to try and take the middle between a BR1 500 and a BR2 all-in, at the expense of no longer being able to surrender to beat a BR2 1/2 bet loss.

c) BR2 won't have bet 1/2, so surrendering has no value to me. Might as well go all-in, just in case BR2 bets 4,500 and then manages to get four bets out via splits and DDs.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008