SNG Games vs. Multi-Table Tourneys

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by fgk42, Aug 27, 2007.

?

My BJT playing is:

Poll closed Oct 26, 2007.
  1. No difference between SNG and MTT

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. More agressive on SNG than MTT

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. More agressive on MTT than SNG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

SNG vs. MTT

I’ve been going over my past online playing records and noticing something a bit disturbing. I’m wondering if it’s just me, an anomaly or can anyone relate.

In MTT of 3 rounds or more my final table appearances is much less than I would expect, given my solid success at SNG’s

I’m just wondering if people play SNG tables differently than they play MTT tables?

Does it make a difference to you as a player?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

2. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

you need to

be a little more agressive on the SNG - as only top two pay - and - first pays a lot more -

all MTT allow for at least two advance - and first is no better than the lowest advance position - so you play just to advance -

difference between going for first and going for the advance

3. bjmace

bjmace Member

I have always found the other way round,

3 Round MTT's I sail through where as sit N Go's I get a bit over average, What i have put this down to is skill level of other players,

For instance We both mostly play $30,$50 and above sit n go's when we get the chance, It is mostly players of around our level who join in these,

If you look at the $1000 mtt $20 entry and the $750 $30 entry there are lts of not so skilled players who burn out of these.

Also a lot of Mtt's are 6 player per table 3 go through which means a skilled player even allowing for poor cards will still get through.
    2 Round Mtt's are usually higher buy in ie $1000 $50 buy in and $2500 $100 buy in, they mostly end up near to the 21 player 2 round limit so often are 1st round 7 players 2 go through, and again player levels may be higher due to bigger buy in.

4. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

I've taken a longer look at my record and I believe that RK's remarks hit close to home for me.

My personal style of play is slightly above average on the agressive scale. therefore in the SNG's (you're right Mace my $30 & up results are better than $5 & $10) the more conservative the players the better my personal advance rate.

However in the MTT I have noticed a lot of players who make ME look conservative. When I try to always go for the lead that's when I get in trouble - hence my lower advance ratio in the MTT.

This is really interesting stuff when you look at the numbers on paper. I encourage others to take the time and do it also.