Stay or Double?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by slim100_us, Mar 8, 2005.

1. slim100_us

slim100_us New Member

Would this be a fee hit?

Br2 has $1,210.00 and is on the button
    Br1 has $1,260.00

Max bet is $500.00, Min bet is $50.00. Surrender only if dealer shows a Ace.

Br2 bets $500.00 gets a 10, 3
    Br1 bets $500.00 gets a 10, 9
    Dealer shows a 2.

At this point Br1 has both the high and the low :)

Br2 doubles for less ($100.00) and draws a 3 for a total of 16.

Question: What should Br1 do? Double for less ($100.00) or stay, or anything else?

Thanks,

Slim

2. DanMayo

DanMayo New Member

No Free Hit Here.

Slim,

I think the biggest question to be answered here is how often would the dealer with 2 up beat BR1's 19? From Ken's charts it looks like this happens about, makes 20=12.4%, makes 21=11.8% (assuming 6DS7 that we usually play). So with a dealer 2 up he has a 24.2% chance of beating you if you stand but of course dealer would also beat BR2 and you then you still win.

If you double down you have a 87% chance of loosing to the dealer 2 up.

I think I would stand.

Dan

3. Joep

Joep Active Member

Its A Free Double

If the dealer breaks you would lose to Br 2 double.If you stand on your hand you can only win if the dealer makes any hand from 17 to 21.So if you were to double for 55 and not break you would lock out Br 2.If you were to break on your double you could still win if the dealer made any hand.So if you dont double your hand has no outcome on the game .So go ahead and double its a FREE one................

4. DanMayo

DanMayo New Member

Wow, Guess this is why I'm here!

Joe,

I clearly see your point, although I did have to think about it for a while. My initial thought as explained above is that I'm in a pretty good position by standing, but as you have shown it could be a little better yet without any additional risk.

To think that someday I would be able to come to this conclusion while under pressure at the table though is probably a ways off for me, but this is my goal! This is such a subtle point that it seems like it would be totally missed (and was) by a rookie such as me.

Thanks for the question Slim and thanks for the feedback Joe,
    Dan

5. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Here's a tip

Dan, one key that you can use to see free hits and free doubles more clearly...

If it appears that the outcome of your hand is meaningless, you might have a chance at a free double or a free hit.

In this case, whether the 19 wins or loses is immaterial. If BR1 stands, he advances as long as the dealer makes a hand, whether it beats him or not.

Once you see that, you can then consider whether there are ways to make your hand meaningful again. In this case, doubling accomplishes that. If he doesn't bust, he's a lock. If he does bust, nothing has changed.

6. Joep

Joep Active Member

Time Tip

Here is a small tip you can use to try and figure this out in a short period of time.Ask yourself how can I win, now that he has doubled?I can win if the dealer makes any hand.Now the next step is how do I lose ?.I lose if the dealer breaks.So know I know my hand as is means nothing so what happens if I were to double my 19 which has a huge chance of breaking can I still win .The answer is yes so if i dont break he is locked out and if I break I still can win with a dealer making a hand.So this is what they call a FREE DOUBLE.Hope that helps. ;)