Still another loss - Sam Vaughn

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Billy C, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

I'm sad to say that we lost a BJ tournament icon. Sam Vaughn died last Friday, April 8th at his home in Utah.
    Sam was a veteran tourney player best remembered for winning a million dollars at a Las Vegas Hilton event a few years back. He was known and liked by all.
    We will miss you Sam!

Billy C

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  3. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Rip

We lost one of the greatest players in the country, and also a truly kind gentleman and modest champion.

4. Moses

Moses Active Member

A good friend lost.

We have lost not only a great tournament player, but a very kind gentleman. He was a friend to many tournament players for many years.

5. noman

noman Top Member

Phoenix Sam

Monkey said better than I could. An unique man.

6. donnaeth

donnaeth New Member

Sam was a very special player at a very special time for tournaments. I will miss him.

7. TheLegend

TheLegend Member

fondest memory of Sam

I met Sam and many other tournament competitors the summer of 94. I was unemployed and living in vegas playing mini tournaments 6 days a week. Saturday was an off day but Sundays you could play two tournaments.

Shocked and saddened by Sam's passing, my mind continues to recall a Sunday afternoon mini tournament at the Showboat. I remember distinctly that it was the semi final round and Sam was to my left. There were five hands to play and Sam had a sizeable lead against me. I don't remember what I bet, but I do remember i got a blackjack. Sam was none too worried. He was still in the lead. The next hand brought another blackjack my way.
    Sam was still unconcerned about his chip lead. The third hand........yes, blackjack. At this point I had Sam's attention. The fourth hand.......blackjack. The fifth hand was not blackjack but I had left Sam in the dust and headed to the final table. The first hand in the finals was ....Blackjack. Six hands........5 blackjacks.....destiny was mine as I won the tournament.

Sam and I always recounted that day when we would run into each other. Friends and competitors, not a nasty word occured during that semi final not towards me or the cards.........Sam was the perfect gentleman. I am truly saddened that I will never get to share that day with Sam again.

Rest in Peace my friend.

8. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

You will be missed Sam

Sam won the first ever blackjack cruise tournament I ever hosted. He was always very supportive in all blackjack events, but I know he loved the old Stardust and New Frontier "LIVE MONEY" tournaments the best.
    I still remember Sam winning the 2nd Las Vegas Hilton "Million Dollar Blackjack Tournament". The smile both him and Fred had on their faces were priceless (or maybe $1,000,000 worth anyway).
    Rest in Peace my friend.

9. Venture

Venture Member

I never got to meet him. I really had no reason to think I ever would. But what a character! May God bless him and his loved ones.

He certainly added a lot of color to our world.

10. elkoholic

elkoholic New Member

Sam

My first 10 years as a kid, I lived across from Sam, his son is still a close friend of mine. I grew up swimming at Sams house.....great summers! I remember Sam was big into his late night card games with his friends there at the house. We never imagined his games were going where they did! I'm really glad to see him hit it big in Vegas. Always a nice guy.

My dad and I, and Sam Jr were just talking about going to Utah to see him. My dad hasn't seen him for over 30 years now.

A week later, we found out about his passing. RIP Sam.