Strategy for No Max Bet Rebuy Tournaments

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Bogart45, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Bogart45

Bogart45 New Member

I'm new to BJ Tourneys and looked locally to find the tourneys with the best payouts. Both of the best tourneys are no max bet tourneys and I've never seen this discussed. Here are the specifics for one of them.

$20 buyin, unlim rebuys during 1st round (multiple 1st rounds)
    $1,000 added
    Ave of 18 to 24 players
    top 2 from each table advance to semis
    Semis is top 2 or 3 advance depending on # of tables (plus 1 lucky loser)
    7 make the final table and all 7 cash
    Start with 1,000 chips, 10 min bet, no max bet
    play for 14 hands

Anybody here played these types of tourneys before?
    Should I bet the min until near the end no matter what?
    If I'm behind, should I go allin the last time that I'm last to act?
    Should I go for an early lead by going allin and if I bust rebuy?

Thanks.

2. Bogart45

Bogart45 New Member

Actually Only 1 Rebuy

Actually I just realized only 1 rebuy is allowed, not unlimited like I thought.

3. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

I've only played an event like this once. I played a mini-tournament somewhere once that allowed you to rebuy on hand two if you went all-in on hand one and lost. Many players did that, so you were virtually assured that someone at your table would start with double the normal bankroll.

I was never really sure whether it was better to go all-in on hand one or not. I think the value play was to not do it, and hope noone at your table won the first hand. It saved you an entry fee, and even if one or more players did double up, you weren't dead yet.

With a single rebuy offered at any time during the round (you don't say whether you can rebuy if you still have chips, but I'll assume you can), I would probably try to accumulate double the starting bankroll, and then decide on the rebuy based on what the rest of the table does. If you run out of chips, it is probably correct to rebuy.

Sorry I'm not more help. This is an infrequently seen addition to the game.

4. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Start small

Yes I would start out small and increase as needed (if needed). You can always chase later if need be.

5. Bogart45

Bogart45 New Member

Thanks for the help. You can only rebuy if you completely run out of chips. It turns out that most of the $20 buyin tourneys in the Seattle area are in this format of No Max Bet & allow one rebuy with 0 chips left. I'll try starting slow and see how that goes.

Bogart