Strategy question

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by rookeyc, Sep 27, 2007.

1. rookeyc

rookeyc New Member

Have a question about betting strategy.

Six players at a table, starting chip count of $5000, 21 hands, one player advances, miniumum bet - $25, maximum bet - all in, BJ pays 2-1.

Playing at a table where all (or most) of the players play conservative for the first 10 or so hands. Betting usually $100 - 400 per hand. In the early hands would it be best to bet more aggressively and bet $800 - up and attempt to take an early lead, or play conservative to either have a small early lead or be close to the chip leader?.

or

Playing at a table where all (or most) of the players play aggressive in the early hands betting $800 - up to an all in on the first hand. In the early hands would it be best to play conservative and count on the aggressive players bust some hands and lose a large amount of their chip stack?

I have only been playing tournament BJ for less then a year and on a regular basis for about 5-6 months. So I am still learning and trying to figure out the best strategies.

2. maxwell

maxwell Member

both

Play Conservatively On Both Situations For The First Few Hands To See How Your Your Other Players Are Playing And To See How The Cards Are Running
    Suggestion-buy Kens E-book For More Help With Your Game -GOOD FOOD FOR THOUGHT-This Is Always A Learning Adventure :d :d

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  3. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Personally, I would not consider $100 - $400 to be "conservative" in such a situation, assuming that it's not a UBT-style elim format. I would probably hang in for a few hands - maybe 10 or so - at the low end of the general range of those bets until I see how things are going.

4. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

This is a scenario where you'll get one of two trains of thought:

Train A: The conservative route. Their mantra is simple - save your bullets for the final few hands. You can't be in a shootout if all you've got is blanks.

Since BJ is a neg EV game this is the time tested and proven method. Many excellent players go this route. Their philosophy is simple. Why risk it when I don't have to?

Now in a no max limit tourney this type of mindset is, in my limited opinion, probably very valid because after all with an all-in bet you can catch BR1 on most any hand.

Train B: The BJ Express. This thought is simple - I'm gonna get me a BIG lead and not look back. With small max bets this can be a very effective strategy - especially if you get 2 max bets ahead.

Now which is the best strategy?

What's your personality?

If you're a Ken Smith or S. Yama - able to calculate down to the fifth decimal place the amount necessary to cover a triple split, double down on one hand and blackjack on the other hand type of player, then get onboard Train A. (These guys are just mathimatically gifted)

If you're new to the game and your final hand calculations are kinds slow or if you're a donkey like me - get on board Train B. Bet Big - or go home!

It's a lot easier to make those end game calculations when you're BR1

What's the downside?

You may bust out! Happens a lot. So the question is this...do you feel lucky?

Attached Files:

5. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

strategy

$400 from a $5000 bankroll is about 1/12th of your money - that is not really conservative - these players are betting moderate amounts of money - betting $800 (one-fifth of your bankroll) is wildcat betting - these are drunk-all-in-guys - my advice - counter the trend - but moderately -

for the first scenario - if the betting range is $100 - $400 - try to come in with the second or third highest bet - and play your hands conservatively - fewer splits and doubles than BS calls for - don't chunk out extra money for marginal ev improvements -

for the second scenario - try having the second or third lowest bet out - and play conservatively -

this approach lets you try to get a somewhat favorable br position going into the later hands - without taking too much risk - then - if you need - you should still be able to use a 2-step progression or whatever needed to go for the lead late - if you need too

be ready to shift strategy if needed - if the other players start betting more - then go low - if they drop their bets - then go high -

you can't gain if you bet like everyone else - and the idea that if you bet minimum everyone else will lose all their chips and leave you the chip leader - well - if you believe that - please come play at my table - anytime - this does happen sometimes - but much, much, more often than not - at least one of the more aggressive players will run off and leave you chasing from far behind - and that is not good -

6. rookeyc

rookeyc New Member

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and your advice. As I said I am still learning tournament Blackjack and trying to soak up all the knowledge I can from more experienced players. I do plan on getting Ken's book and studying it.

I generally play what I described as the conservative play, betting $200-400 on the early hands. Then as the play progresses I adjust my bets as needed based on others chip counts, styles of play and how the table has been running. Seems to have been working for me most of the time. I guess I was wondering if a more aggressive style would be even better.

I play in a local weekly tournament where the majority of the players are "regulars" with some "newbies" weekly that fill up the tournament. With all of the regulars I have soon learned their normal style of play, if they are conservative or aggressive. In the six months I have been playing I have won the tournament twice and made it to the final table 8 times in the 6 months I have been playing.

But my desire is to continue to learn and improve.

7. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

rookeyc

sounds like you're doing ok - and doing well getting to the final table and winning -

I like what you said about 'adjusting bets' - I use several different strategies for playing the early to mid hands - depending on starting position - the tournament - how many advance - how experiencced the other players are - etc - and will shift from one to another as seems sensible - basic strategy approach most used is what I described above - moderate countering of the other players betting ranges - with a willingness to go all-in or use a 2-step progression if I need too - but - will play very differently if multiple players advance - or if other players are very aggressive - or - whatever needs to be adjusted for -

my theory is "let the other players pick your strategy through their bad play" :laugh:

8. maxwell

maxwell Member

final

Sounds Like You Are Doing Well At Your Tournys Making The Final Table As Many Times As You Have
    You Are Doing Right At The TableS-good Luck To You And Let US Know How You Are Doing -I Think You Are Ready For A Major Tourny Other Than A Weekly :d :d

9. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

This is where definitions REALLY come into play.

Betting 200-400 per hand isn't conservative. It's moderate play.

Conservative play is betting 25 or 50 per hand.

Your results are good with a 33.3% final table appearance (8/24) - so apparently you're doing something right.

The caution, however, is not to get too comfortable with the "regulars" because - as you have alluded to earlier, different bettors and table conditions dictate different strategies.

For example with your betting style at a TBJPA event you would be considered a "wildcat" better because most of the "regulars" are conditioned to min bet unless forced to make a move. This results in more people around for the final few hands.

10. rookeyc

rookeyc New Member

Again, thanks so much to everyone