Surrender option

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by ptaylorcpa, Jul 14, 2005.

1. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

Joe Pane discussed calculating the surrender trap on Ken's radio show tonight, but I didn't quite get the information down. Can someone explain how to use the surrender option effectively?

BTW, the show was great, it was my first time to listen and there was a lot of great information shared on the show!

2. swog

swog Elite Member Staff Member

surrender

quite simple really......you lead by $200.....you bet first....bet $350....he might see you over bet your lead and bet $5 to take the low ....you can then surrender to get the low and high back....if he doubles down ...he will still lose to you by $15.....there you have it

3. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

What should you do is your player does something different?

I didn't hear the show so I don't know everything that was discussed. In the case of the 350 bet with the 200 lead, your player might follow it with a bet of 145 instead of 5. You can still surrender to take back the low, but he will beat you if he subsequently gets paid. In this scenario if the max bet is 500 your bet of 350 takes the high if your player comes out with a max bet, like a lot of them do.

I guess my question is, is this bet of 350 a higher expectation play than a bet of 195 would be in a tourney that allows surrender? Under what conditions would you surrender if your player followed your 350 bet with 145?

Will there be any more opportunities to listen to the content of these radio shows?

4. Joep

Joep Active Member

Re-Broadcast

If you missed this show or any of the upcoming shows, they are re-broadcast on Saturdays at 4 P.M. Pacific Time.If that does not help you you can always call in with your question or comments when we are on the air live every Thursday night at 6 P.M. Pacific Time .The link to the show is www.klav1230am.com/lowbandwith/liveonair.htm

5. tgun

tgun Member

best bet?

I Like numbers in problems:
    Lets assume first bettor A has a BR of 700.
    2nd bettor B has a BR of 500.

I haven't decided the best bet, but I like the bet of 350 over 195 because:

1. A gives B a chance to make a mistake, like betting 5.

2. A will have a chance at high, both win = 1050.

3. A can surrender and have the low, both lose = 525.

4. If B makes a bet of 145 or less; A, after seeing the cards, gets to choose high or low.

5. If A bets less than 305 A gives up high.

6. In a 2 player game I don't want to give up a chance to take the low.

tgun

Last edited: Jul 17, 2005