Surrender

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by maxwell, Oct 31, 2006.

1. maxwell

maxwell Member

WOULD SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN SURRENDER TO ME
    WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF SURRENDER
    IT SEEMS EVERY TIME I SURRENDER I GET BURNED EVERY TIME WHAT IS THE POINT OF SURRENDER?:flame:
    I GUESS I STILL REMEMBER THE ALAMO NEVER SURRENDER

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  2. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Maxwell,

I’ll attempt to give this a whirl.

Lets assume that the dealer has a face card showing. We know that there is only a 23% chance that the dealer is going to bust.

Now let’s assume that we have a stiff 16. Our odds of busting are 62%. So the odds of us hitting and busting are three times greater than the dealer busting which is the only way we can win.

Lets look at other odds with the dealer having a face care showing:

Odds of a dealer drawing to 17 – 37%
    Odds of a dealer drawing to 18 – 14%
    Odds of a dealer drawing to 19 – 8%
    Odds of a dealer drawing to 20 – 8%

Our odds of making a 17 are 8% and that only gives us a push 37% of the time – not very good. From a strictly “odds” perspective.

Does this help Maxwell?

3. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Last resort

Maxwell

I'll tell you how I use it but I suspect that my advice is sub-optimal. Anyway, when do I use surrender? Rarely, that's when!

Firstly, if you're really clever you can set a trap whereby you can surrender and win regardless of your opponents outcome. This usually has to be when you are ahead and is equivalent to a few minimum bets greater than your lead. If your opponent takes the low and you surrender then even if they win their bet it can't overtake your surrendered position. It can be risky though.

Secondly, you can use it to re-take the low.

Thirdly, If you've got a big bet out and losing that bet would cripple you but you could still mount a challenge if you surrendered it, then you should consider surrendering.

I'm sure there are other circumstances but I'll let the other more experienced player tell you about them.

Cheers

Reachy

4. maxwell

maxwell Member

This Was My Thinking
    If The Dealer Has A 10 Showing And I Am Betting Low And All Other Players Are Betting High I Am Thinking My Hand Does Not Matter Even If All Other Players Surrender They Lose Half Of Their Large Bets(good For Me) Are They Do Not Surrender And Lose All There Large Bets(better For Me) Then I Would Think That Is Good Play Except For One Minor Dysfunction I Seem To Surrender And The Other Players Do Not Surrender(i Am Thinking I Am Ok) But I Be Damned That The Dealer Does Not Have A Good Hand And Draws To A Bust I Am Screwed Again-oh Well I Do Not Think This Play Has Much Value To Me
    I Am Sure Ken Smith Can Shed Some Light On This Subject Since He Uses This Play A Lot Or Use To Use It A Lot

Thanks For All Info And Experience
    Maxwell

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  5. cherub44

cherub44 New Member

If you are playing on UBT or Bet21/UB.com you are always going to get ploppies at your table. If they have a big bet and you have a small bet, your surrender is a good option in the instance of a dealer 10 against your 16. Even if you were to stand and the dealer busts you aren't gaining a lot, and your are losing ground to your big betting opponents. I know it's frustrating to see people stand on a stiff against a dealer 10 and win the hand, but it happens. I wouldn't write using surrender off. It can be a very beneficial option in a tournament and any BJ game.

6. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

At Any Table

the variance will dominate the play - over the long run - you'll win more tables by playing the probabilities right - surrender will work as it is supposed to more often than not - over the long run - the only exception I would make is when you might want to coordinate results with another player - in example - I am BR1 and have 16, BR2 plays before me and also has 16, dealer has a 10 up - BR2 stands - if I surrender - this could benefit me or hurt me - depending on the dealer's results - I can duplicate BR2's decision to stand - and ASSURE we get the same results - and that may be the more desirable outcome - because it is no risk - depends on the strategic situation -

7. Rando21

Rando21 New Member

Make surrender and the button your friend....;)

8. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

When I have bets larger than 500 out the surrender button gets a lot more action than basic strategy suggests.

For example, I have position on a player, our bankrolls are about the same, and our bets were about the same, say 5K. If my opponent busts before me I'll surrender any hand that's more likely to lose than to win. However, if there are other opponents involved and any of them have strong hands I'm less likely to do that.

If I'm playing catch-up and have five digit bets out, I surrender weak hands if the total after surrender still leaves me a decent chance of catching up but losing the full bet cripples me.

Surrender allows you to bet more aggressively to protect a lead. Bet double what you would if there were no surrender, then surrender all weak hands.

I've also been known to trap, so be careful... ;)

9. maxwell

maxwell Member

EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE ON THIS MATTER
    NOW I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SURRENDER TRAP:eek: :eek:

10. Reachy

Reachy New Member

11. maxwell

maxwell Member

Good

Reechy This Is Good For All Interested You Must Have Gone Back A Long Ways For This Info
    But You Are Right I Will Have To Take A While To Digest This Info

Thanks For All Who Have Helped In This Matter Now Maybe I Will Be A Little Bit Better Player-see You All At The Tables:d :d

12. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

Another thought

Just to point out the versatility of surrender. Using RKuczek's example situation, if BR1's lead is more than a 1/2 max bet, and the round is nearing the end, surrendering could be very beneficial. BR2's probability of winning is less than 25%. If BR1 surrenders a bet that could result in increasing his lead to over a max bet, he may be wise to do so. Of course other circumstances must be considered.

Just pointing out that surrender can be a powerful tool if one keeps his (or her) eyes open for opportunity when it knocks. Food for thought. :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  13. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

Good Point Toolman

like I said - it depends on the strategic situation - if the bets are large - and the lead small - I probably would go for coordinating results - guaranteed to maintain my lead - if the bets are small and the lead large - would play the surrender and try to increase the advantage - being willing to risk BR2 getting a small gain -