Tata;s Cause of Death

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Joep, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Joep

Joep Active Member

The autopsy for Michael Tata .Was just released,He died from an overdose of pain killers and drinking.The pain killers were ones that cancer patients take for their pain

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  2. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Uhmmmm?

Did he have cancer? Where did the pills come from, where they his?
    Do the police think it was accidental?

3. DanMayo

DanMayo New Member

Pain Meds....

.... was actually stated as fentanyl in a related article. This is only available as a injectable dosage form, oral lolipops or as a topical patch. So there we no "pills" involved.

The patch form (worn on the skin) is commonly used in chronic pain associated with terminal cancer but can be used for other chronic pain conditions.

The lolipop form is mainly used in pediatric procedures that require a fair amount of "conseous sedation".

The injectable form is normally used as one of the sedating analgesics used during surgery.

Hope this pharmacy spotlight helps keep things clear. When not playing tourney's my real job is as a Pharmacist.

Best,
    Dan

4. TXtourplayer

Dan, your the man

Thanks for the information, I wasn't even aware they had all those differant ways to take drugs. I had lost my mom to cancer about 10 years ago and I guess those weren't out then.

Since the autopsy said he overdosed, would it have had to been from injection form? Shouldn't he have known not to be drinking with this type of drug?

5. DanMayo

DanMayo New Member

Actually it would not have to had been from the injectable form.

The patches come in multiple strengths and it is possible to double, triple or ??? the dose by placing multiple patches on the skin at one time. They have a continous release rate over a 72hr period. We actually have to caution patients that they need to remove the old one when placing on a new one.

Yes he should have known that mixing alcohol and this medication is risky.

But I guess it is only speculation as to what really happened. Too bad.

Dan

6. TXtourplayer

Interesting

Do the patches leave a bad taste when they get in your system? Are the lolipops you mentioned designed for children? This is very interesting all the new way to take medication.

Guess we better get back to blackjack...lol

7. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member