The Ashes - Any Australians among us?

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by London Colin, Nov 10, 2006.

1. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

I see that England just got trounced in the first warm-up game for the forthcoming Ashes series. I'm sure our boys are just trying to lull you into a false sense of security.

There's been lots of mystifying discussion of baseball and suchlike; here's a chance to turn the tables and discuss a really mystifying sport. :D

2. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Fine by me!

Any game that takes 5 days to finish, has breaks for lunch and tea and can still end up a draw is fine by me :D

The England team only arrived in Australia 2 days ago and it's been raining ever since they landed so no practice, outside at least. I'm going to cut them some slack for that.

Cheers

Reachy

3. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

And it was a one-day game, at which they've been useless for some time. Hopefully the test matches will be a different story.

4. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Ten minutes to go

And already things have started badly - Australia have won the toss and elected to bat first.

I hope this thread doesn't seem too much like 'crud'. Clearly it's only of interest to a minority (i.e. Reachy, Andy and me), but maybe we can educate you all in the ways of this great contest. (Apparently cricket was in fact played in the US before baseball was invented and took its place??)

There's quite a flood of propaganda videos on YouTube, advancing the view that one side will anihilate the other.
    Ouch!
    Harking back to England's glorious 2005 victory :D