tournament of champions

Discussion in 'Ultimate Blackjack Tour' started by maxwell, Sep 28, 2007.

1. maxwell

maxwell Member

ANYBODY KNOW HOW MANY PLAYERS IN THE TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS:confused: :confused:
    I ASSUME THAT THIS IS ANOTHER TOURNY NOT A FINAL TABLE ONLY :eek: :eek:

2. toonces

toonces Member

The TOC at Barona is scheduled to be an open event with a $10,000 entry fee and a guaranteed $1,000,000 first prize. Based on the guarantee, there likely will be a minimum of close to 100, and Barona says they are expecting 300. It is the TOC as it is the final UPT event (hopefully not ever) and the winners of previous events won a free entry to this event.

3. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

I have heard estimations ranging from about 110-120 (with 80-90 of those being comped Barona hi-rollers), with the highest being the aforementioned 300. Who knows............

One either has to have a champion's free entry, some fairly deep pockets, an "in" at Barona, or a sponsor. I have none of these, so will be anxiously awaiting updates as the event plays out. :p

4. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Personally, I'm expecting this event to end up with just over the 100 players necessary to pay out the $1M first place prize.

I'll be there.

5. dreamer

dreamer New Member

Yes!!

Count me in too!! Definately worth a shot...

6. maxwell

maxwell Member

ubt toc

HOPEFULLY I CAN PERSUADE MY WIFE ON A VACATION TO SAN DIEGO AREA AND TRY TO WIN MY WAY IN OR HER IN:eek:

HOW ABOUT A ROLL CALL ON WHO WILL BE THERE?:D

UNDECIDED-I HAVE TRIED THIS BEFORE BUT SOMEBODY OR SOMETHING GETS IN THE WAY:flame:

7. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

REALLY?

Spending 10,000 for an entry fee where it's a winner take all?

1:100 chance for 1,000,000. There will be no payouts for 2-7th place :flame:

I think your odds are better buying 10,000 lottery tickets for the 10,000,000 multi-state events you might not win the 10,000,000 but you're more likely to win something

8. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

I highly doubt that - even if that is the way the prize fund works out.
    There's gonna be more chopping going on than you'd see in the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant. :laugh:

9. maxwell

maxwell Member

Damn

IF THAT IS THE CASE FOR THE FINAL - TOURNY WINNER TAKE ALL - COUNT ME OUT:flame: :flame: EVEN THE QUALIFYER PAYS OUT I BELIEVE

ONLY TAKES ONE NOT TO CHOP

10. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

You THINK so? :confused:

If I were the internet winner - having my airfare paid, hotel paid and beating over 5,000 other players to get to the final table - NOTHING to lose.

I wouldn't chop and they couldn't make me!

Remember EVERYONE at the final table has to be in agreement. If 6 of 7 wanna chop and 1 doesn't - it's a winner take all baby!

The UBT backed themselves into this corner. For THAT very reason I WILL NOT be playing in the TOC. They can say what they want but unless it's in writing - well you know the saying "burn me once shame on you. burn me twice shame on me"

11. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

You're 100% correct. The qualifier is a good deal. It's a real tourney and one that Barona does best. However if I were to win the qualifier - I'd take the cash rather than the entry because of what you wrote:

ONLY TAKES ONE NOT TO CHOP

12. maxwell

maxwell Member

And

SO YOU ARE SYING THAT YOU WOULD CHOP IF YOU WERE IN THE FINAL:confused:

13. KenSmith

Not exactly true. It's winner take all if the holdout wins it. Otherwise, I'm guessing there will be a six-way chop.

I have no interest in this event if it is winner take all either, but I've committed to being there because I think that is very unlikely. Even if the chop is for half the prize pool instead of all, it's more reasonable.

14. maxwell

maxwell Member

Chop Or Not

OK I AM STILL CONFUSED
    IS IT A FACT THAT THERE WILL BE ONLY ONE PLACE PAID AND THAT IS FIRST PLACE
    IF TRUE THEN A CHOP IS A GOOD THING I SUPPOSE BUT I WOULD NOT TRY AND QUALIFY TO PLAY A TOURNY LIKE THAT:eek: :eek:
    I DO NOT BELIEVE I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN CLUB UBT INTERNET TOURNY THE 28TH EITHER EVEN THO I AM IN IT (1500 PLUS ENTRIES)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  15. KenSmith

There's been no announcement of the prize pool or structure, but most of us believe that the tournament of champions will officially award $1M for first place. However, we're also all skeptical that attendance will warrant anything over that, so we are assuming that the prize will essentially be winner take all.

Since I don't know many players willing to ante up the $10K entry fee for this event, I think that Barona will comp in enough of their high roller players to bring the field to 100 players. That accounts for the $1M prize pool, and nothing else. If that's the case, then the official payout will be winner-take-all. I firmly expect that a chop among the final table will be strongly encouraged by UBT though.

This is all speculation on my part, as I certainly don't have any information from UBT. But I'll be surprised if this isn't exactly how this turns out.

16. toonces

toonces Member

Just curious about this part. I would have assumed that while all of the players would want a chop of at least half of the prize pool, the UBT would be seriously discouraging a chop in order to be able to crown a true "million dollar winner". Are you saying that the UBT has been willing in the past to encourage and/or facilitate chops? Or are you saying that Russ comes from a background where he would understand the importance of this not being a winner-take-all event?

As for Fred's assertion that the internet player wouldn't want to chop, I'm sure any internet player would also believe that they are going to be an underdog to the rest of the final table. If you watch Deal or No Deal, you know that people are not likely to give up $100,000 unless they have 2 big briefcases left (i.e. they are not likely to make all-or-nothing risks). Especially since the internet qualifiers are 0-for-whatever in winning final tables.

17. maxwell

maxwell Member

Damn

WELL IF ALL THIS IS TRUE- I THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WARNINGS AND I WILL NOT BE ENTERTAINING MYSELF WITH THE IDEA TO TRY AND GO TO THIS TOURNY INCLUDING THE QUALIFYER EVEN THO THE QUALIFYER MAY BE GOOD :bomb: :bomb:

18. KenSmith

I think that UBT can officially crown a $1M winner, but still coordinate a more equitable payout behind the scenes without losing any of the prestige. Certainly Russ comes from the poker world where chops are apparently the norm. You don't hear about those publicly either.

Edited to add: Oops, just re-read your question... "UBT has been willing in the past to encourage chops"? Not to my knowledge. None of the final tables I made in UBT were chopped, nor was there discussion of a chop. I just think this will be different.

19. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Ken, thanks for your insight into this matter.

IF I were to make to that final table would I want to chop? Interesting question. To play for first 1,000,000 or to take the sure fire split of 142,857.14? Hmmmm what to do?

Well with 100 players it would mean that you made it past 4 rounds (most likely) and seeing how you'd have 10,000 invested I have to say

NO to a full table chop.

Now, depending upon WHOM was at the final table I'd be willing to cut deals with other players - I'd do a partnership with Toonces any day of the week (many other players too but I played against him at the Venetian so that's why I used him for this example)

HOWEVER,

I wouldn't want to chop with the internet qualifier. Nothing personal LeftNut but just out of sheer principle having worked my way thru a field of 100 and having an internet qualifier seated at the 1,000,000 table and getting a 142K payoff is - well insulting.

It has always been my feeling that UBT was giving these internet qualifiers way too much and taking from the paying players in that sense. I would have rather seen ClubUBT award 10 or 100 internet qualifers ENTRY into the tournament rather than a seat at the final table.

That's my personal opinion.

The problem is this - there's too much uncertainity for me. Pro's such as Ken Smith and others may be used to such events but little guys like me - I hate the "smudge factor" and with my luck I'd go there THINKING the final table would be a chop only to find myself winning my seat to the final table, having Sweetteabird, Joe Pane, Hollywood Dave, Adrianna Jade, Anthony Curtis, the internet qualifier (probably LeftNut) and me.

With THAT field I'm chopping in a heartbeat - only with MY luck Joe would turn to me and say Fred, we've decided to hold a chop - Team UBT and everyone else against you! :laugh:

Wouldn't THAT be ironic?

20. swog

swog Elite Member Staff Member

Let's assume the prize pool is $1,100,000.
    How about a chop of 500K to the winner, and 100K to everyone else?