Traveler's Sob Story

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by Monkeysystem, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Anyone ever heard of renting a car while traveling in another city, and getting pulled over for expired plates? That's what happened to us this morning on Fort Bragg. :mad:

MrsMonkey is a Chief Master Seargent and she was driving so the MP wasn't keen on writing her a ticket for something that obviously wasn't her fault. Then he got called away on his radio. That was his out so he let us be.;)

Can you sue a rental car company if you get a ticket like this?

Anyone have any good rental car stories?

2. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

Is there such a thing??????? :laugh: :joker: :laugh:

3. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

They would have to pay, but...

The Rental car company would be at fault, however it would be up to the branch manager how well they handle the situation.

I smart manager would just pay for the ticket and offer you some type of discount or even free rental on your next rent car. But you may get the jerk who says there is nothing they can do, (the ones I normally get...LOL). In that case I would contact an attorney, I am sure you would win in small claims without much of a problem, just add in any and all fees you had due to the problem.

4. Joep

Joep Active Member

Were the plates expired before you rented the car or did it expire while you were in the middle of your rental period?

Joep

5. Rando21

Rando21 New Member

I rented a car in LA once ....and in those days they use to put an obvious sticker advertizment on the car....Hertz,Avis etc....on a bumper sticker...

So Im driving on a LA free way and being from a relative rural area I am a little intimiadated by what seemed like 12 lanes going in each direction. I get in the middle and go with the flow....

This was 20 years ago and I had my wife up front and my baby in a car seat in the back....Im cruising with traffic at 60 MPH....I look in my rearview mirror and I see red lights of LAPD flashing and waving me over...thru 6 plus lanes to get to the side of the freeway.

With a thousand or so cars in a tightly bunched group this HA decides to profile the rental car and tickets me for 275 bucks (a huge sum for me back then....) He asked how long I was in town and then arranged a court date the day after my departure...Impossible for me to appear...

Im pretty sure this officer was in on the Rodney King affair....:)

Since the statute of limitations has long since taken over Id like to now come clean and admit that I never paid that fine....and Im still sticking with my story that I was at or very near the speed limit and that I was profiled because of the rental sticker...

Shortly after that rental companies removed any easily ID markings....seems the real crooks were profiling vacationeers and jackin em up whenever they spotted the rental...

I just happened to get jacked by the fuzz.....

6. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Expired

The plates expired in December. I've rented lots of cars and never thought to check the plates. Lesson learned the easy way (no ticket), unless we get pulled over on our way to the airport today.

7. Reachy

Reachy New Member

tax disk

What are "plates"? We have "tax disks" in the UK which we must display on our windscreens which prove that we have paid road tax. We can buy them with 6 month or 1 year durations but the registered owner of the car is liable, not the driver. Is that the same sort of thing?

Cheers

Reachy

8. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Yes

Here in the states, it is whoever is driving the car that gets ticketed.

9. masteff

masteff New Member

As for a rental car story.... I had flat while on vacation and exchanged the car at the nearest location (wasn't keen on highway driving on a donut spare). About a month later I got a bill in the mail for cost of the tire replacement! They cancelled it as soon as I called and complained but how many people would have just paid the bill?

Exactly, ours are a sticker that's put on the number plate (though a few States have gone to window stickers due to plate and sticker theft).