True Counts

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Stevenfx, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Stevenfx

Stevenfx New Member

Maybe this is just my math skills but it seems to me that not having a very precise true count total would defeat the whole purpose of counting and basic strategy in the first place wouldn't it?

:confused:

So I guess the question is after lots of practice how precise can one expect to get with the true count?

:rolleyes:

2. tgun

tgun Member

true count

It depends on what method your using to determine the number of cards remaining to be dealt:
    A: Actually counting cards that have been played
    B: Estimating number of cards in discard tray
    C: Figuring 2.7 cards per player including dealer

Of course "A" would give you the most accurate True Count.
    The situation of the game determines which of these or other methods to use in tracking remaining cards.

Good luck!
    tgun

3. slim100_us

slim100_us New Member

You could also try some unbalanced counts such as the K-O or the Red Seven. This way you do not need to calculate the true count.

I currently use the K-O which works well in a 6 deck game.

Slim

4. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

Ace/Five count

I ran across something on Gamemaster's web site concerning an Ace/Five count. Basically all you have to count is Aces and Fives, which is about as simple as it gets. I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder how well it works. He claims that it will at least get you over the house edge with good rules playing basic strategy. Admitedly, it can't be as good as a better count system, but it is the easiest thing I have found so far.

Is there a count based solely on counting faces cards (J,Q,K)? If you figure there are 12 per deck, and you normally see six deck shoes, that would mean 72 in a fresh shoe. If the average cards dealt in a round is 2.7 and sitting at a table with six players (six + dealer = 7), that yeilds 18.9 cards per round, or 2.75 hands per deck. If you have 12 faces in a deck, divide by 2.75 hands, gives you an expected 4.36 faces each round. It seems like just tracking faces would give you a good feel for the count.

Pat

5. Eugene Nichols

Eugene Nichols New Member

One has to play a lot of hands for the count to pay off. Departures from the expected probability can be quite large when played a small number of hands.

6. Joep

Joep Active Member

Pay Off

For the count to pay off you need to win your big bets.If you dont win your big bets you are toast.