Tunnel vision

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by ptaylorcpa, Mar 21, 2005.

1. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

I found myself so focused on needing to win my final hand with a double down this last tournament, that I totally misplayed my hand. In the end I don't think it would have made any difference. Here is the hand situation. BR1 bets first and I follow. We both put out max bets. I know that I need to double whatever I get to have a shot so I am looking for that opportunity. Dealer gives us both 20s (two face cards) and the dealer is showing a 10 up.

BR1 stands on his 20.

I guess I lost my focus when I saw that BR1 has a twenty, I was thinking I had to win two hands with BR1 losing, that I forgot totally about doubling down after splitting my 10's. Maybe in my mind I was looking for another 10 so I could split again, but that didn't happen. I did split my hand and on the first got a 2 for a 12. Thinking all I need to do is draw to a good hand, I hit and get a four, total 16. At that point I think I realized I should have doubled, and without thinking hit again, getting an ace to make 17 and I stood. Now I am double frustrated because if I had stood on the 16 I would have had a 11/21 on my second hand. The second hand I got a nine, so with a hard nineteen I stood.

Turns out the dealer gets an 18, so I win one and lose one and don't advance, but it would have made me feel better losing knowing I had played my hand right and had all my money on the table in case the dealer busted.

Has anyone come up with a good suggestion on how to refocus on each hand? I am thinking of coming up with a mental checklist or something to prevent getting to much into a tunnel and only seeing the light of the train coming at you! Maybe closing my eyes and counting to ten would help.