what would you do ?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by slim100_us, Nov 1, 2004.

1. slim100_us

slim100_us New Member

Just took sixth place in a tournament.

I would like to no how some of you would play this out.

$50.00 min bet and a $500.00 max

Prize structure is 1st $3000.00, 2nd $2,000.00, 3rd $1,200.00, 4th
    $800.00, 5th $450.00, 6th $300.00, and 7th $250.00.

Eight hands to go.

Player 1 has $650.00 is on the BUTTON and bets $50.00
    Player 2 has $800.00 and bets $50.00
    Player 3 has $600.00 and bets $50.00
    Player 4 has $1,150.00 and bets $50.00
    Player 5 has $300.00 and he goes all in with $300.00
    I have $700.00 and think :rolleyes: this is when I can catch player 4. we would be tied if we both win. So I bet $500.00, (Max bet)
    Player 7 is OUT

I lost that hand, and bet $200.00 on the next hand and lost as well. I was all done with six hands left to go.

I am happy with $300.00 dollars, but should have I done it any different?

slim :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

I agree.

I like your play. The button has just passed you, and the entire table has minimum bets out. What better time than that to catch up? You just needed to get some cards to go with your max bet, that's all.

In that situation, I would have done exactly what you did. Particularly with such a small bet spread from min bets to max bets (10:1), if you wait any later, you'll find it tough to bet opposite your opponents.

Here's hoping you get better cards when you need them next time.

3. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Depends on you

You were sitting in third place ($1,200 if you finished up that way). You have to decide if you want to risk dropping down and go for the win or play conservative and hope to move up.

In your position I would have played a little more conservative. Although you did have the best position for taking a shot at the leader once the button passed you.

They're isn't a clear cut right or wrong bet, but I wouldn't have bet more then half your bet, (what would you have done if you caught two Aces or another split hand?).

All this really doesn't matter if you lose (and you did), you will find that doing the right thing doesn't always work and those last five hands the players get crazy on their plays.

I learned a long time ago you can't win the tournament if your out of chips before the last hand. Did the leader (at the time) end up winning the tournament or did one of the other players? Just wondering how the final four hands played out?

I have been in the lead going into the last hand so many times where I catch a good hand and someone DD on a hard 12 or above and catches their dream card or at least doesn't bust and then the dealers does and I get passed. So bottom line is if luck is not with you, your probally not going to win anyway.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004