What's the best bet?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by KenSmith, Nov 13, 2003.

1. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Here's a scenario from a recent tournament on the Mississippi Gulf Coast:

One player advances from this table, $2500 max bet.

Player A: $2100
    Player B: $1530
    Player C: $2525

What are the appropriate bets for each, and as an additional question, what should Player B bet if Player A goes all-in?

2. TheKid

TheKid New Member

I guess this question shows how little I know! If I were player B, and Player A bet ahead of me and went all-in and won his/her hand, I have no chance of beating him with an all-in bet, even if I caught a blackjack. So, I guess I have to bet on player A losing his bet or pushing. I would guess that player C would bet to cover player A's all-in bet. A win on a $1700 bet would put him up $25, should player A win his all-in bet. So, I'm thinking Player B's only move is to have more than A and C if they both lose. If Player B bets $700 and wins he would have more than A if he pushes and C if he loses a $1700 bet. BUT, by now I'd be frustrated not knowing what C will bet. I will bet $1000, hopefully confusing player C. If I win my hand, I have a slim chance to win, assuming A loses his hand and C pushes.

Okay, Ken, I give up. What should they do? I see a lot of different ways to look at this.

3. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

long but not the longest answer

Interesting case.
    Let me analyze second part of the teaser.
    (Player A- 2100 bets all, player B- 1530, player C- 2525, last hand, one winner. Best bet for player B?)
    Player B needs to gain more than 570 to player A and more than 995 to player C.

There are three basic ranges of bets for player B:

1. Small bet.
    Player A must lose and player C must bet “big” and lose, as well.
    The key element here is whether player C is going to bet big.
    Skillful player C will know that by betting small s/he locks out player B and hopes that player A doesn’t win, for a total chance of over 56%.
    If player C bets big s/he can’t lose his/her hand (player B has the “low”) and can’t push if player A wins for a total chance of about 50%.
    Slightly better play by player A locks out player B (0% chances), but if player A chooses to bet big “our” player B has a hefty 30% chance of advancing (both players A and C lose their bets).

2. Medium bet of at least 665 and less than 680.
    Player C is still better off by not giving low to player B, but now player B has a chance of advancing if s/he wins the hand and, at the same time, player A pushes or loses and player C loses. Additionally, if player B gets a blackjack or wins doubled bet, then it overcomes player’s C push.
    Playing strategy would change from the basic, especially if cards were dealt face up.
    It seems to me that chances for this play to succeed are roughly short of 9%.

3. Big bet of more than 995 (and as close to it as possible).
    This bet increases chances for player C by generally giving him both hi and low but it forces him/her to bet more than 1675 to cover player’s A win.
    Player C by betting more than 995 gives player B chance to advance not only when he is swinged (won-lost) but also when s/he loses and player B pushes, and also when player B wins and player C pushes. I would not be surprised if it all added up to a tad more than 10% chance.
    By betting as close to 995, say even one thousand (one or two, nonchalantly thrown in chips), player B increases chances for having a “low” (all players lose) if player C bets anything more than 1995, say a convenient two thou.

If you, as player B, estimate that player C, regardless your small bet, is going to bet big more than 33% of times– bet small. Otherwise bet one thousand.

Good luck in your next tourney,
    S. Yama

PS
    It’s funny how effectiveness of many seemingly different strategies falls within 2%-3%.

PSS
    I have some bj tournament posts on A. Snyder’s Blackjack Forum Online: http://message.bjfonline.com/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2003