Wong book question - TABLE 3

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by zweeky, Jan 3, 2007.

1. zweeky

zweeky Member

Hello,

I see a contradiction in Wong's book between Table 3 (chapter 6) and examples 41, 42, 43 and 45 and I don't know what to conclude about it.

When 2 players advance, Table 3 specifies that the most desirable spot for last hand is:

- "Middle" when there are 3 players in contention (#2 if all win and #2 if all lose)
    - "#1 if all win" when there are 4 or more players in contention.

Most examples with 3 players in contention (from 26 to 40) agree with Table 3.

But in most examples with 4 players or more, the player can make a bet to be "#1 if all win" but the advice given is different.

In examples 41-42-43, the player is BR1 and must bet first. According to Table 3, I thought the advice would be to cover all max bets by other players but instead the advice is to follow another rule (which is either cover a max-bet by BR4 or keep what BR3 has left plus a chip).

In example 45, the player is BR1 and must bet last. The advice given is to bet "#2 if all win and #2 if all lose (Middle)" which is normally the advice he gives when there are only 3 players in contention.

Do you also see this as a contradiction? If not, what am I missing? If yes, which do you think is a bad advice?

Thanks.

2. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

zweeky

it looks to me as if you are right -

Wong cites some general guidelines in Table 3 - then cites entirely different guidelines in the section on 4 players in contention - and uses that second set for these examples - and he doesn't explain why the second set of criteria are desirable - just states them and uses them - it looks to me as if he is trying to set bets where whatever the other players bet - he will end up BR2 and advance - with a high degree of liklihood - whether everyone wins or loses - but the other players chip counts don't let him lock in these bets in examples 41 & 43 - when he bets first - so you are betting an amount where you will get the low over two and the high over one - or vice versa - or the high over all three - depending on their betting choices - in example 42 - BR1 has the high over BR4 - no matter what he bets - so he advises to go for the low on BR3 - leaving BR2 to decide if he wants the high or low - again locking it up where he has a high or low advantage over two of the players and the opposite over the third player

in example 45 BR1 gets the high on all but one player - and the low on all but one player -

I think we are seeing the difference between a statement of general principle - and the calculation of specific odds and the affect of position and chip counts on the best bet - the goal being to create the best options for advancing - but Wong doesn't fully explain why he is choosing those bets

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  3. zweeky

zweeky Member

Thanks.

It seems that Wong did simulations for these examples, then he derived the rules to fit with the results. But I wonder how Table 3 was done since none of the examples where 2 advance and 4+ players in contention fit with Table 3.

4. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

I think

that he must have based table three on a simple calculation of probabilities of winning and losing hands - as he lays out in table four - what is the prob of everyone winning, losing, one win and three lose, etc. - but in the examples - he is including the impact of chip counts on the probabilities - can you close out players or not - prob of double and bj - that type of thing

I hope

otherwise he is just ploppying out junk -