WSOB/UBT eligibility:

Discussion in 'World Series of Blackjack' started by noman, Feb 7, 2006.

1. noman

noman Top Member

This may be a moot point/question, givin the multiple appearances of some playas.

But, given the bible sized rules and regulations for participation, once and if accepted, which a Philadelphia lawyer would have difficulty interperting, does anyone Know, if either these two, or King of, or other tv events have a non compete clause, or exclusionary time period for contestants, which a lot of the old time game shows had?

So far the GSN and Hilton's televised events, allowed repeat contestants. But with Spike and Ultimate on different outlets and in competition, I'm just wondering if there is another hidden pitfall, like "Crazy Horse's" revenge, played in the current GSN endeavor.

2. Hollywood

Hollywood New Member

Yes and No

Every televised tournament is different... in regards to exclusionary clauses (a period of time in which you cannot appear on any other gambling tv show - or in some cases, tv altogether) and in the non-disclosure agreements (in which you agree to keep all results confidential, and not talk about them either in a public forum, or in some cases, at all).

'King of Vegas' is on Spike, which is owned by Viacom, which also owns MTV -- so the contract we had to sign there looked like it had been taken from the Real World (the famous mtv reality tv show) or something, it was incredibly restrictive at first in terms of how long we supposedly could not appear on any other show without their permission (something like 3 years!!!) but after a lot of great negotiations between my agent & the Spike lawyers, they came to a much less restrictive compromise -- to where i cannot appear on another gambling show in a freeroll format as a player until 30 days after the final KoV episode airs... about the last week of March. Which is great, considering that World Series (if i am to be involved again, although at this point i haven't heard anything one way or the other) will most likely air starting in May or June.

As for non-disclosure agreements, Spike's was huge - 5 million dollars of liquidated damages for revealing the winner, or how any of us did individually ahead of time. While this seems excessive, imagine if this show had blown up to the proportions of American Idol or some other epic television experience -- while this may seem to be wishful thinking, its only natural for the network to want to protect its interests, just in case.

Other shows i have worked on are much less restrictive, although these two components are pretty typical. Both World Series and the UBT had no stipulations as far as exclusivity was concerned, but NDA's were standard -- though without the 5 million dollar penalty!

In terms of non-compete clauses, the world of blackjack is going through some necessary growing pains right now... whereas in the poker world, players regularly appear on competing networks -- ESPN, FoxSports, GSN, etc -- in blackjack sometimes appearing on a competing network can work against you. One reason, for instance, that i may not be included in the World Series this year could have to do with appearing on Spike right now. There is certainly a fine line between networks wanting to associate their brand with specific talent, and a network benefitting from the unique brand of a player who has created a larger demand for him/herself due to exposure on multiple networks.

Lots of fun considerations, and certainly we will continue to see these aesthetics change as more and more blackjack shows crop up on tv in the next few years...

-holly d.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  3. noman

noman Top Member

Competition clauses:

TY Cerritos:

But since, u have an agent to sort thru all the fine print,(damn) again, u have an advantage, the rest of us wanabees, whoever, whenever get lucky enough to make one and lose to you AP,'s are shut out for 6 months to three years.

Some poor souls only get one shot.

4. This is probably comparing apples to oranges since traditional game shows and gambling shows are a little different but I can tell you a little about restrictive clauses from traditional game shows.

While I would guess that there is some variety in restrictions, easily the most common restriction is that you cannot have appeared on any other game/reality show within 12 months of your air date. Most also have a restriction that you cannot have appeared on any 3 game/reality shows within the preceding 5 years. I can't speak for all game shows but I know that is what the contracts from Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and Wheel Of Fortune specified. I can speak from experience on those two and a friend who made it to Jeopardy told me that their's was the same.