A small teaser

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by London Colin, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Double To Cover The Double

If you go first, have the high and low on BR2, and can double to cover the double, the decision whether to double can hinge on your assessment of your opponent's skill/aggression level. Many opponents as BR2 will double no matter what you do. This makes you more likely to double certain hands than if you believe your opponent will make the best mathematical decision. This is the decision you'd have to make in your situation.

In your scenario, you'll have one of two choices:

- Against a "double anything" opponent, you'll double any non-bustable hand. You'll also hard double 12 or 13 if the double down card is dealt face down. Don't hard double otherwise because such opponents are usually smart enough to avoid doubling if they see you double and bust.

- Against a more skilled opponent, you'll double if your probability of winning that is higher than your opponent's chance of winning a double.

In my earlier situation you have the low, and can double to take the high against your opponent's single bet. Your decision in this case is more mathematical. You double if your probability of winning that is better than your opponent's probability of losing a single bet.

2. sweet william

sweet william Member

If U R Br2 ?

what is best bet if u r br2?( betting 1st)

3. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

You're in trouble...

If I was BR2 and betting first, I'd bet maximum $500 and hope for a swing or good DD or split hand vs. BR1's stiff or hard 18/19 (something that would be tough to DD on).

In this situation BR2 is needing alot of help.

4. sweet william

sweet william Member

In Trouble!!!

Max Bet May Be Best, I Was Thinking That Something Smaller,
    (give Br1 A Chance To Make Mistake) Maybe $350 As Br1 Can Cover
    Any Bet U Make Anyway, I Know That If Opponent Is Experienced
    Not Much Of Chance. U Can Still Split Or Dbl As Last Straw....

5. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

You could, but...

Yes, you could try and trick BR1, but even if they only bet the minimum $100 and both of you win the hand your still lose by $51 unless you DD or split your hand.

If you want to try and get tricky at least bet what your down + the minimum bet + one more chip that will give you the lead, should they mess-up. For sure you need a minimum bet of $402 to take the lead should you both win (based on BR1 only betting $100).

As BR2, if I though I could mess them up I may bet something like $427. This bet would allow me to swing them or beat BR1's $100 minimum bet should we both win.

6. sweet william

sweet william Member

Oops !!

forgot $100 min bet, so make that $450 and pray!

7. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Slightly muddled thinking on my part, there. Clearly the absence of DD-for-less must have been a critical part of my reasoning, since with it BR1 could bet 400 and still be able to DD without going under 800.

I'm slightly confused on this point. Was my reasoning faulty? I figured that if you can DD and still keep the low (either for less, or because the size of your original bet permits it), then you should do so whenever -
    • your choice, otherwise, would be to hit, and ...
    • having hit, there is a strong chance you would be in a situation that requires you to then stand, based on the 'win both ways' table.