Another WSOB Update

Discussion in 'World Series of Blackjack' started by KenSmith, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Rando21

Rando21 New Member

That 30 dollar dealy they have at Turning Stone In NY has some great players...

Not sure this is still held but I visited there once for the event and it has a full turnout very time I was told....

There are players in this game I would stack up against anyone! ANYONE!

I guess it is a balance act for these shows... but Im still leaning toward the "poker tour" style of earning your way there.

This is what is being described as the best play observed...(the WSOBJ sats)...

You are getting the hardcore great... but perhaps undiscovered players now...

I can think of 15 or 20 players (non pros) I see online who I would stack against any randomly chosen field of "Pros".

Of course that means only online play because the PROS have far more experience in live action play and the chip accounting skills are THE difference in that game.

Its important to have those chips and stacks to deal with and the average great player simply doest get enough chances to practice that skill in a live game....

There would probably be much better betting with less mistakes as the undiscovered "GREAT" come up to speed on table awareness...

Just not enough practice on live action ...its impossible unless you live in Vegas I suppose... counting stacks of chips sitting around your house may help some but it doesnt replace actual play and the necessary skill to be aware of what your opponets have chip wise.

I often wonder why we dont see more dealers playing BJ tournaments...they usually have great chip awareness skills...even though I rarely see a dealer who actually knows how to play the game. Probably why.

SO I guess Im saying open field events can bring bad play but is it less interesting than watching the same 20 PROs pass the trophy around? Dont know.

Is poker more interesting to watch??? I dont think so....yes they have the commentary down better right now...and the production is more formulated and tested...but BJ can catch up....

For me its interesting because of the money, long shot stories, and yes even the pro play...but there can be a hundred different faces Ive never seen and I still watch to see whos gonna win the 5,000,000 first place prize...and personally I dont care who made a few mistaken plays along the way ....

I laughed the other night as Phil Helmuth whined his way off the stage as the loser to a guy he claimed overbet his 7's...he called him a donkey making donkey plays..and maybe thats true but he won and Phil lost and it was fun to watch...

The most mathmatically correct play each and every time may not overcome dumb luck plus only moderate skill...thats ok....It can still be very entertaining...especially if you got some characters whining and mugging and even honestly stating how and why it was wrong....its how other people learn ..and its also entertaining...

Dont ya just wanna see HD kicking some nice ole Grandma looking womans chair as he storms off the stage as she splits her 5's against dealer 10 up and catches 2 21's to lock him out of the money???? Thats priceless! And while I dont wanna see that every other minute...mistakes and human nature can make some great entertainment...

These shows can tune up the production....they can tune up the commentary...its as important as the game itself...

The sats should have been filmed....Im sure there was great play there! And some priceless moments to fill in some boreing gaps that the championship finals may have...Fred pulling out his hair perhaps or Joe pulling a BJ from a miracle Power chip move...highlights are just that....interesting pieces to fill in for the routine moments.

2. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

buyin affect

I was surprized when playing at the last Pioneer tourney in Laughlin - that very few of the regular local players entered, from what I could see - the difference between a $15 buyin and a $200 - even though some of the locals are pretty good - and would have had a good chance to money in the small field -

got to thinking about it - and maybe what it comes down to - is that even the best players lose a lot more tourneys than they win - if you money in one of 10 tourneys - say - or even one of five - that means your odds of losing any one tourney is much greater than winning money - losing 4 or 5 or10 $15 buyins in a row - who cares - but losing that many $100 buyins - or $500 buyins - and maybe a few rebuys - that can be a lot of money to some people -

it is not the long range equity they are looking at - but the short term ROR of losing what they consider a large amount of money -

and yes Lou - I do consider myself capable of rendering judgements on everything and everyone at all times -

and yes - I think that Hollywood may very well be a skilled player - though I really haven't had a lot of chances to observe his play - on tv - but he needs a little real smack talk thrown at him ocassionally - not the annoying whiney little fat girl patter he uses -

and I do acknowledge there are some pretty good players out there who deserve their reps - but there are also some that from seeing their play on tv - have reps that are more from good pr than good play -

and I do not Wong bet often - there is a difference between conservative play and Wong betting - I just get tired of watching the pokerploppies and other self proclaimed good players online - who have no other strategy than Wong betting - that is not skilled play -

3. Twisted

Twisted New Member

gotta love it when they double on the hard charlie, make and win the hand only to get a BJ the next hand, takes luck to the next level...