Aruba Update

Discussion in 'Ultimate Blackjack Tour' started by KenSmith, Sep 23, 2006.

1. douchekitty

douchekitty New Member

Thanks for the update... any word on what the prize pool for the 2 final tables is going to be?

2. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

I won't post another update from Aruba, I don't want my ass chewed on anymore.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  3. Joep

Joep Active Member

First Tuesday Aruba Update

Tuesday Update

The 145 players that ponied up the 2700 entry fee started to arrive around 11:30 am for the first round that started at 12 Noon

I was at table 9 with Kami Lis and with UBT season 1 Finalist Alex Beneres

I drew seat 2 and knew I was in trouble before they even dealt a card out as I would be betting second on hand 8 if all stayed in and on the button if one player dropped out. :(

I was second lowest bankroll going into hand 8 but managed to survive past the first elimination hand, even though my stack was short.

We lost one player before hand 8 and then lost another on hand 8 .We were now down to five with Kami and myself still left as Alex was eliminated on Hand 8. My lead over Br 5 was small and he waited until I bet before him and passed me with a larger bet than I made.

When he bet first Kami being the smart player that she is bet also knowing that I was going to bet to pass him..We all won our bets and I moved back ahead of him but still behind Kami.

By the time hand 16 came up we were down to 5 players and the low bankroll's had

Br 5 betting first with no secret had 15,500
    Br 3 Kami had 19,750 had her secret bet
    I was Br 4 and had 16,500 I had my secret bet

Br 5 went all in
    Br 3 Kami bet next and bet 19,500
    I bet next with Br 1 & 2 behind me and I secret bet 16,000 and held back 500

The dealer had a 4 up

Br 5 was dealt a 16 and stood
    Kami was dealt a 13 and stood
    I was dealt a 14 and stood

I know know I'm safe as no matter what happens I will survive but if the dealer makes a hand I will advance with only 500 left. If the dealer Bust I will become low bankroll as Kami bet 19,500 but move on to the next elimination round.

The dealer busted and I won with only one 500 chip left..... SWEET

Details of my loss in round 2 will be later as Im going in to watch the semis and send it the results of it almost live on LasVegasAdvisor.com for all to see

See ya all later

Joep

4. Joep

Joep Active Member

Good

Good that will prevent any bad info from Aruba, leave it to the players that are here we are after all taking the time to do this for all to see and then you post mis information. Its frustrating to ALL OF US down here.

I thought you liked multiple players advancing from tables . your post infers that it was easy as 3 advanced . Keep in mind this is not a tournament that you can sit around and wait for people to self destruct . if you ARE THE LOW BANKROLL YOU ARE GONE

Joep

5. Janlovespoker

Janlovespoker New Member

Good News!!!!!!
    Ken Smith and Peter Nathan have both advanced to the finals on Friday. I don'tknow who else advanced. Hopefully Joe will post something in a little while.Now it is time to go play poker. If someone can win Blackjack and poker tourneys they will give them an extra million dollars.:) :) :) :)

6. swog

swog Elite Member Staff Member

AC just posted the final tables....

9/26/06 7:09 PM (NEW!)

There will be two final tables played on Friday. Both will show on separate television telecasts.

Table 1

Anthony Curtis
    Erin Tribble
    Eric Aldous
    Ken Smith
    Tom Coan
    Greg Pryce

Table 2

John Ressman
    Peter Nathan
    Devilfish
    Dan Furtado
    Michael Woo
    Donald Whitford

We will cover both finals on Friday.

Congrats to all and good luck

7. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

Go Ken Smith

:1st:

:celebrate

8. Joep

Joep Active Member

Tuesday Aruba Update 2

Thanks Swog for cutting my reporting time down
    as I would have had to type that up :)

I will tell you this I was recording Anthony Curtis semi final round and he made a super play on the last hand to get to the Finals there were only 3 players left and Anthony had 21,500 and Br 3 had 15,250 Br 2 bet first and secret bet as did Anthony.Br 2 had 20,000

Anthony took his time and counted down Br 3 bankroll and assumed that Br 3 being a poker player would go All in and Curtis bet 10,500 which would bring his total to 32,000 Br 3 who was last to act with no secret bet did go allin and was dealt 10-4 Curtis was dealt A-7 and Br 2 was dealt a 5-4 Dealers up card was a 2

Br 2 hit and caught a 10 for 19 Curtis waved off and when Br 3 waved off on his stiff Curtis was a LOCK.

A fine example that chip counting is an important SKILL to master if you intend to be successful in tournaments

Its a nice feeling to know no matter what the dealer turns over you are going to a UBT Final table

Great job Anthony

and congrats go out to Kenny Smith , John Ressman,Peter Nathan also

So the field had about 20 % blackjack players but 6 of the semi finalst were BJ players and 4 of the 6 advanced to the Finals which is 67 %.

Once the BJ players made the semis a true test of skill was shown as 67 % of them advanced to the Finals

That being said I believe that a certain bet that someone wanted to make looks like I would be a favorite to win

I would have 2 players on each Final Table

Im off for a small party at the Bar .

A couple of us have entered Peter Nathan into the poker tournament for a chance at the Million Dollar Bonus

Wednesday is an off day but I'm sure there will be some Sit & Go's played and time permitting I will have a report for all who could not make it down here.

I hope these reports help in making everyone feel like they are here live feeling the excitment.

Dont forget you can come to St Kitts and help me with some time off for beach and pool time

St Kitts Oct 28- Nov 4

Joep

9. Rando21

Rando21 New Member

Congrats to Ken, Joey, and Annie....I played a few games with her at UB and chatted with her so I was rooting for her too...:)

Im qualified twice to play for St Kitts at UBT....Im still trying at Bet 21...Im getting bad beats by players who dont have a clue...guys splitting 7's against dealer ten up...on the first hand..lol...I just havent beat dumb luck yet...I will though.

Aruba sounds great...except for the Holoway controversy...Ive been there before...its a windy place for sure..hot too.

Good luck to the winner of free roll...take sunscreen, drink plenty of water and stay away from Joe..;-)

Chip counting is the big difference in live play..also the distractions not encountered at the computer..noise, chatter, etc...

For the free roll winner ...just remember one thing if you get lost or overwhelmed at a key point in the game..perhaps you lost count or are confused and the clock is ticking down...remember the basic advice..."When in doubt...PUT IT OUT!!!" Dont get caught betting 10 dollars short...Id say relax and have fun...try to forget about the pot...just have fun.

Good luck.

Thanks especially Joe and Ken for providing us a glimpse and up to date info...more pics please...

Drink one or two for me...rum punch please..

LOL

10. TXtourplayer

Congratulations BJ tournament players

Way to go Ken, Peter, AC, and John. Best of luck on Friday and any other events y'all play in the rest of the week.

11. napodot

napodot New Member

Ken Smith and Anthony Curtis on Table 1. Both are tournament blackjack champions. And for sure, this is the scenario that ALL Blackjack players in the world have been waiting for to materialize. Ken against Anthony – GOING FOR IT ALL !!!

12. cherub44

cherub44 New Member

Yay!

Congratulations to all of you that made it to the finals! It's really nice to hear our fearless leader Ken has made it. :joker: As HD and Kami are both personal favorites of mine, it's a bit disappointing to hear they didn't make it past round 1. :sad: The same with Joe and others that provide us with valuable information here daily, and didn't make the finals.

So am I figuring correctly that Erin Tribble is the online qualifier that's been posting under douchekitty? If so.....wow hun. I am personally very envious of you and scared for you that you are at a table with Ken and Anthony. Tough is an understatement. I wish you the best of luck, just try not to let the pressure get to you. You're in the money regardless, right? Have a blast and enjoy the thrill of going against two powerhouses. And BOY what a story if you beat them out.

13. TXtourplayer

I think the online qualifiers come in on Thursday...

The 12 players posted all won there way to the finals in Aruba today, you can see they all played each round from AC's up dates.

The online qualifiers arrive on Thursday I believe I read that on one of their posts.

14. douchekitty

douchekitty New Member

I'm not sure who Erin Tribble is, but it's not me lol. Congrats to everyone who made the final 2 tables... i'm now completely scared crapless lol. J/k =) I will admit though it's very intimidating because these people must be extremely good players or they wouldn't have made it thus far... so, hopefully things go okay when I arrive in Aruba, and I don't faint from the pressure!!!! Lol. I'm extremely nervous about playing at a live table seeing as how I've only played at a live table once, and that was tonight... I guess the optimistic way to look at it, is that I've gotten this far, and even if I come in 7th place, at least I lose to the best of the best =D Thanks cherub for your support, and hopefully I won't get too scared playing against Ken and Anthony ;o)

PS- Any word on what the prize pool is going to be?

PPS- Is Erin (Aaron?) Tribble a girl or a guy? I've seen the name spelled differently on the different sites, so I wasn't sure... please let me know! Thanks!

15. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

First place at each final table pays $77,000 plus a $10,000 seat in the championship event next year.

The total prize pool overall is $362,000 or something like that.

16. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

What a long hard day I've had.

After my second round table, I was absolutely exhausted. It was an epic match, where every single hand was critical.

Then, in my semifinal round with 2 of 5 players advancing, I drew a reasonably good seat one. (Third to act on hand 8 if everyone is still around.)

However, I lost hands 2,3, and 4, to dig an early hole. More things went badly on the way to the first elimination hand 8. By hand 8, I was low bankroll, by a fair amount with only $20K of my original $25K left, while everyone else was solidly in the black. One player made a small bet, leaving the door open for me. I went all-in, but drew a very disturbing hard 17 vs a dealer ten.

I waved off my hand, virtually sure that my tournament was over. Then, miracle of miracles, the dealer busted. After doubling up, I pretty much coasted to victory on hand 23.

Congrats to my fellow finalists: Anthony Curtis, Peter Nathan, John Ressman. Now I get a couple of days off. The way I feel right now, I may just sleep for the duration.

G'night all.

17. Stubbs

Stubbs New Member

Question for Ken or Joe,

Are seats at the final tables assigned, or do we draw or pick them.

18. Stubbs

Stubbs New Member

Hey douche,

What time ya get there thursday? I arrive at 12:25pm. Are you staying at the Wydham also?

19. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Hey Ken,

I saw that elimination hand 2nite I think it was Tony that got knocked out?

what do you mean rest? Now you gotta play poker 2 and win that extra million right?

Hey douchekitty - don't be nervous about anything the people here are great. Besides if you get camera fright just let me know and I'll buy your seat from you! :laugh:

Keep the airline ticket and I'll give you cash ok?

20. douchekitty

douchekitty New Member

Stubbs,
    I get there at 10:30 on Thursday morning...Yeah, I'm staying at the wyndham (sp?) also =) do you know how they decide which of us goes with what table?

To Fgk42- I will keep your offer in mind lol. Although, it might be entertaining for everyone to watch the noobie faint on tv! Hahaha.