half of max bet strategy?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by daveyboy, Aug 14, 2008.

1. daveyboy

daveyboy New Member

so just to clarify in the above example,,, if i went for the high{vernacular?} i would do what you described...and another choice would be to go for the low which would be the lead minus a chip or $212 ?

thanks again
    dave

2. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Thanks, Ken.

High praise indeed, coming from you!

Taking this full circle, what bet would you favour, under these rules, with a lead of 501? (Assuming both players have > 2000)

As I said, I can't decide whether 750 is better than 1000.

3. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

We play at the same site. It just goes by a different name. I'll doubtless run into you there (and I'll be a little wary :)).

There are a few other forum members who occasionally play there too.

4. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Thank You Ken

Ditto :)

5. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

To recap, here's your comment earlier in the thread as well...
    I prefer the $1000 bet here. The vast majority of formats do allow doubling for less, and as you mention the benefit of $750 is not "as significant" in that case. For those formats, I think there's no contest here and $1000 is readily superior.

So, let's look specifically at the case when doubling must be for the full amount. I still prefer $1000 here. If you bet $750, your opponent should not bet $1000 behind you. If your opponent instead bets anything between $835 and $998, then he takes away this issue of you having the low after doubling while not sacrificing any benefit for himself. (His blackjack still beats your single bet win.)

By the way, there's no way I arrive at that $835 number in a hurry. :D
    But it is not unreasonable for an opponent to realize that betting $1000 is too much and come slightly under it instead.

Because the prohibition of doubling for less is so unusual in live events, I don't think I've ever used this kind of thinking in an actual event. The last time I remember playing an event that prohibited doubling for less was in the late 1990s in the Bahamas.