Harrahs World Series of 21

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by kelly_c_ritter, Mar 24, 2006.

1. swog

swog Elite Member Staff Member

World Series of 21

Listed on the Event Calendar for all four of Harrah's properties is an explanation of the rules. They are not really player friendly, but now a days, it seems to be the best we can expect. It also, of course, has a million dollars at the end of the rainbow. The rule for 34 players was always in place. It guarantees the funds for the $10,000 seat in the finals.

2. mikel

mikel New Member

Harrah's WSOB

Kelly is right.
    Harrah's did give themselves an "out" (if they choose to exercise it).

CC# 0602401C12 Appendix EE-16:
    "If for any reason the tournament is not capable of running as
    planned, ............. reserves the right to cancel, terminate,
    modify or suspend the tournament".

However, it would seem to me that they would want do everything possible to run it as planned, since anything less might result in negative press, and may call into question the veracity of any future events.
    There are a few things they might try to increase turn-out, including condensing the times and/or dates; funding one wild card seat at the finals to be randomly drawn from all the entrants at the weekly tournaments (this might encourage more people to play who might have otherwise declined when there is a low turn out on a particular day or property. Weekday afternoons is a rough gig). There are several other things they might try, but until they actually solicit input ...

Of course if you won enough of the daily cash tournaments, you could just buy a seat. :)

3. Wimpy Attendance Continues

I wasn't there, but was told that on Sunday at Harrah's they had 10 players for the first qualifier, and cancelled the rest.

I showed up yesterday at just before 4pm at Caesars. They had 9 players for the first qualifier at 3pm, and at that point had nobody registered for the rest of the day's qualifiers. I assume, but am not sure, that they cancelled the rest. They had already sent some of the dealers home.

They have been advertising the WSO-21 on radio, and I have seen newspaper ads as well as billboards. The radio ad was misleading in that it seemed to imply that seats were given away at the qualifiers, rather than noting that the seat giveaway was contingent on attendance being high enough.

There was some talk at Caesars about changes in the structure next week.

4. POOKYBUNT

POOKYBUNT Member

I AM GOING TO AC FROM 5/13-5/16 WITH 2 OF MY FRIENDS AND HAD PLANNED ON PLAYING IN THIS TOURNAMENT. HAS ANYONE HEARD IF THE ATTENDANCE HAS INCREASED AT ALL. IT'S A SHAME THAT A COMPANY AS LARGE AS HARRAHS CAN'T PULL THIS OFF.:sad:

5. Attendance still mediocre

In a separate thread, I reported on last Friday's fiasco at Park Place. I
    stopped off at Caesars today, and was told that they had 10 players last week with the new format, and had six so far today as of just before 5pm.
    I don't know how they've been doing at Showboat on Tuesdays or Harrahs
    on Sundays lately, but I'd be surprised if it were much different.