Help Required - Computing probability

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Reachy, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Yee ha!!!!!!!

I've cracked it!!!!

[​IMG]

Cheers

Reachy

2. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

ok reachy

what was the problem and how did you solve it?

3. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Aces shmaces!

The algorithm for deciding the value of aces allocated an extra card valued at 0 or 10 on each card dealt. If the initial card wasn't an ace the extra card was valued at 0; if it was an an ace (1) it was valued at 10. The next test was to check whether the hand total was less than the minimum hit value required and if so another card was dealt. If it wasn't less it was then checked to see whether it was a bust value; if it was then the extra card was set to 0 and it was re-checked. If it was neither lower than minimum required value or a bust hand it was valid, probability was calculated and the cycle started again. It was a cascade effect.

What was happening was that if hands with aces in were having their ace value set at 0 it wasn't being re-set to 10 after the cycle had been completed. So I changed the program so that they would.

Cheers

Reachy

4. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

good job

reachy -

I know that I am going to have to relearn programming - but don't know if I want to relearn an older style language such as basic - or just bite the bullet and study up on c++

5. Reachy

Reachy New Member

1/2 an hour

If you want to knock something off quickly as I did it's worth revisiting BASIC. I was amazed how it came flooding back after scanning the manual. I had written my first BJ simulator the evening I downloaded the BASIC compiler!!! If I had more time I would learn another language.

http://www.justbasic.com/

Cheers

Reachy

6. stevem

stevem New Member

Probabilities

Reachy,

Congratulations on your programming achievement and on relearning BASIC so quickly.

Could you please provide two more probability tables, one with the player starting with a hard 4 through a hard 15 and achieving 18 through 21 using as many hits as your algorithm now allows and the second with a soft 13 through a soft 15 achieving the same 18 through 21.

Thanks.

SteveM.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  7. Reachy

Reachy New Member

costs

No problem. My rates are $5 per hard number and $7 per soft number so that'll be $81 please. I accept paypal.

Only joshing with ya! Why do you wan to know? Just curious. Actually just modifiying the program to do soft totals and that could take a day or two.

Cheers

Reachy