Hilton's BJT rules-surrender allowed

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by mica, Jun 6, 2011.

1. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

More Mulligan Questions

1) When splitting aces, can one use the mulligan on the cards dealt and, if so, does one make the decision before or after a card is dealt to the second hand? (This question assumes that one can not play the split ace hands otherwise.)

2) When one uses the mulligan on one of the first two cards dealt, can one then still double/split/surrender as usual?

3) Similarly, when one uses the mulligan to replace the automatic card dealt when splitting, can one still double/split as usual afterward?

4) Assuming that one cannot double down on a black jack, can one use the mulligan to replace one of the cards (in the case that winning the black jack is not sufficient)?
    Thanks!

It's now looking less likely that my wife and I will make the October tourney, but it's still fun to study this particular aspect.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. rookie789

rookie789 Active Member

Simple Answer

Use of the Mulligan replaces your choice of the first two cards dealt or the last "Hit" card as if it was never dealt, it does not affect existing rules of play.

1) Splitting Aces: You cannot discard your 2nd to last "Hit" card therefor a decision must be made on the first split Ace prior to receiving a card on the second hand.

2) Yes

3) Yes

4) If you are dealt an A and 2-9 value card, Mulligan replace the 2-9 and receive a 10 value card it's paid 3/2 blackjack. A blackjack can be doubled if you wish.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    gronbog likes this.
  3. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

More Mulligan Madness

Thanks! Using that rule of thumb, I suspect that the answer to my question 4 is also yes.

Here's another scenario:

You are dealt a soft hand and the dealer is showing an Ace. You need to win one bet. Do you get to replace the non-ace in your hand before deciding on insurance? If you were to hit a blackjack by replacing the non-ace in your hand you could then take insurance (or even money, if it's offered when you don't have enough for full insurance) to guarantee victory.

4. rookie789

rookie789 Active Member

Insurance

No action is taken on any players hand prior to every player declaring their intention to purchase or decline insurance, you cannot use your Mulligan or Surrender.

5. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Rookie's good

Per usual, Rookie is "right on" with his answers! No wonder he does better than me-----he knows the rules.:laugh:

Billy C

6. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Mulligan Strategy

The reason I was asking detailed questions about the LVH mulligan rules earlier was because I was adding mulligan capability to my software. I used this to generate some strategy tables for using the mulligan in some common tournament situations. See this thread for the details:

http://www.blackjacktournaments.com/bb/showthread.php?t=7505