How would you play this hand?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by tgun, Apr 13, 2008.

1. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

I think that was meant to read - BR2 has to hit to at least 18.

This is interesting. I was going to say hit, when the question was first posed, and I was going to cite Wong's Table 5 as a justification. When the consensus on standing emerged I realised that this is not merely 'win both ways', but also 'win if BR2 pushes', and that that must make quite a difference to the calculations.

It also set me thinking about the significance of BR2 being all-in. Do the Table-5 entries for 16 and under (i.e. BR2 yet to play) allow for the possibility of BR2 doubling? I'm wondering if separate tables are needed to distinguish between the cases when BR2 can and cannot overtake by winning a double.

The 2:1 BJ means that, even betting 275, BR1 cannot overhaul a BR2 BJ without winning three bets. But BR1 must bet at least 225, or else it will require four bets to achieve this feat. So, with a min bet of 15, the range of bets that allow both the minimum double down and the split-and-double-once-to-beat-a-BJ is 225..260.

2. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

Correct, that was BR2 hitting to at least 18.

I have Wong’s book somewhere, but can’t reference it for anything that I would rely on, though that book was important to me a long time ago, and still is the best thing on the market for novices and mid level players.

Dependent on necessary goals (full swing, push/win, any gain, etc.) there will be different optimal plays.

Colin, you’ve got it right that the key to the best bet is coverage of BR2 getting blackjack. The only way to cover that is to win a triple bet.
    BR2 betting all-in 475 and getting 2 to 1 snapper ends up with 1425. BR1 (bankroll 755) would need to win 675. Without betting more that the lead, it is achievable by winning three bets of at least 225. But the top of the bet range should be 250. This way BR1 can split twice to three hands to achieve the goal (most likely scenario would play out by splitting Tens).

S. Yama

3. FMike756

FMike756 New Member

Thanks Yama

My gut feeling was that Br 1 should hit the hand. With time constraints in tourney play I often play with that "gut feeling". I know that is not optimum play, but reading members responses to similar outcomes, transfers to the table and helps reinforce my play, whether right or wrong. That is why I often look for a definitive answer to my questions. Thanks again.

4. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Indeed. But the thought that struck me for the first time is that, with BR2 yet to act, BR2's remaining bankroll might also be a factor to consider. In general, if BR2 has a reasonable chance of winning a DD, then the value to BR1 of hitting in order to try and improve their hand may not be worth the risk of busting and allowing BR2 to take as many cards as necessary to give themselves the best chance.

Does that make any kind of sense?

Oops. Good point. It would be annoying to be forced into an unlikely double down, just because of an oversized bet.

5. tgun

tgun Member

time limit

FMike756, in this tournament the player has 30 sec. to bet or bet is $100 and 30 sec. to make a play or else player stands.

BJMAILMAN, same thing happens to me and my wife. She tells everyone that my husband reads the books and she wins the tournaments.
    Last time we shared a final table she took 1st while I took 2nd.

Also, on Rick's 2nd cruise she was the top money winner. She had to beat some excellent players. Some even post here.

tgun

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008