Official format and rules for the $10,000 One on One event

Discussion in 'Tournament Blackjack Players Association' started by TXtourplayer, Jun 3, 2007.

1. toonces

toonces Member

I agree that the 14 first round matches is a lot, but it's probably comparable, since having a match go to 5 games will hold up the rest of the tournament anyway (and also raises the question of whether you schedule round 2 based on when round 1 ends and make people wait around or a fixed time which means you are essentially planning for 15 rounds).

I also think that it's both more fun and more value to have your players play 2 games against 7 players than 3-5 games against just 3 players. This way they are more likely to have a chance to play against someone they were looking forward to playing.

Glad to be able to help with the format.

2. tirle_bj

tirle_bj Member

well worth to consider

Toonces, if I understood you correctly, you're offering two groups with 8 players in each. Then you say that everybody in the group plays with each other twice and that's 14 games per player. Actually it is 56 games in each group, because there will be 28 pairs and each of 'em should play twice. As we can see, comparing with the current format we have 112 vs (72-120) matches.
    That means both formats are close to each other time wise, but your format can create (possibly) more conflict of interest after some players become hopeless. In any case well worth to consider and thank you for contribution.

3. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

To avoid anymore issues

The August 15th/16th $10,000 One on One match play event is set with the original format I posted under Official Format and Rules.

However I do like the concept toonces suggested, I just cannot change the format for the August event after posting the Official format, now for a later event I think I'll be able to try this.

I don't want to do anything that opens the flood gates we had last week.

4. toonces

toonces Member

That makes sense Rick...though you may want to keep my format in reserve in case you don't get 12 or 16 entrants. I'm sorry I wasn't monitoring this thread earlier before the official format was announced.

Tirle, you are right that there is a risk in long round-robins for people who are eliminated to affect the results. That could also happen in the current pool format. That's why I suggested that the winner of each match in the RR get $100 (as well as a rule against deal-making in the RR) so they have a reason to try.

There's actually a more complex way to eliminate this issue entirely. You use the RR results to eliminate the last place contestant. Then, eliminating the last place contestant, you void out his match results and retabulate the standings, ignoring his matches. Then determine 7th place, and eliminate him. Repeat the process until you have a clear ranking from 1 to 8. You will likely get very similar results, but this way, the contenders are only compared with how they fared against the other contenders, as opposed to who did better against the losers.