UBT Season 2 Schedule discussion

Discussion in 'Ultimate Blackjack Tour' started by bjmace, Aug 22, 2007.

1. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Surprised that a poker show is there or that no one's commented on it?

From ClubUBT's marketing perspective it makes perfect sense. After all the pull for new members is this:

Pay 19.99 a month and NOTHING MORE! Play all the poker and BJ you want! What's there to lose?

Demographics of those who tune in early to watch college football and likely those who watch WPT, WSOP, High Stakes Poker, etc., so having a poker episode on UBT makes PERFECT sense. After all it IS a 60 minutes infomercial for ClubUBT isn't it?

Look at the July Issue of All In in which they interviewd the poker players and talked about the crossover from poker to BJ.

It seems that the TBJ market/pie isn't big enough so why not try and cross-market with poker players. I think it's a great strategy and I love playing EBJ with poker players.

More money...more money...he he he :cool:

2. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

It's not about the money

Once again - reading the posts (here and especially at LVA) of the Internet people who were blindsided with this issue yesterday, note that the recurring theme is not about the money nor about an ego thing regarding seeing oneself on TV. It's about embarrassment and even shame over having told so many people about being on the show, and all of the people who then heard about it second- and third-hand. Granted, nobody has it in writing, but who cares? That's a legal argument, no one is talking about legal things here. Folks were told something and believed it, then became parties to it by passing the information on to others. As I mentioned previously, Deb and I weren't even aware there was a planned third season until yesterday.

Sometimes people can be hurt just as much by silence as by the spoken or written word.
    UBT should have let folks know a long time ago that this was possible, simply because it was The Right Thing To Do. :(

3. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

I'm guessing that UBT does realize that the vocal few are likely among their best customers. While clear and accurate communication has been lacking all along, I would think that these publicly aired grievances are probably being given appropriate consideration by UBT. At least I hope so.

4. toonces

toonces Member

Well, I was surprised for a few reasons. First, the show is called the Ultimate Blackjack Tour. I would have assumed that it implies the game you'll be watching when you tune in. Second, there's a lot of work that goes into building up the infrastructure for a poker show. You need a different table with hole card cameras, different graphics, etc. Third, I'm assuming that Max and Mati have never done commentary for a poker show. It all seems like a lot of work for a one-off show. Finally, there's such a glut of poker shows already, I don't know if there's a demand to see BJ pros play poker pros at poker. King of Vegas already tried it, and it wasn't that exciting then. :)

But, Fred, I suppose you are correct. ClubUBT is about playing poker for prizes also, so they might as well play poker on the UBT.

5. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

As part of the viewing audience I wasn't disappointed either - great show Dave. On a side note do you still have that purple shirt in mothballs or will you wear it at the TOC in Barona?

While some may read my posts and conclude, as someone on another board has done, that I am anti-UBT. Nothing is further from the truth. Most of my "complaints" are merely my observations and I always try to include alternatives. However some opinions are not valued. That's why I appreciate someone of your "stature" (UBT Chamption, All In author, etc.,) added your opinion to the mix.

6. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Well it's also called Club UBT - not Club UPT or Club UBPT right? And as we've read elsewhere people at the Club claim there are more poker players than BJ players - an assertion that I vehemently disagree with.

I don't know about this but from the production equipment and staff that I saw in the production room at the Venetian I wouldn't believe it would be that difficult - especially for a one-time event.

Never saw that show so I can't comment. However, as you remember the instructions prior to taping the final table. So I can safely assume that the UBT poker show ain't your momma's poker show! :cool:

7. Stubbs

Stubbs New Member

Ubt

Sorry Ken for what Im about to say but this is BULLSHIT... I made 2 final tables this season and neither one will be on tv. What the ****. Its the same people on every show just like the first season. I even did very very very well in one of them and cant even watch it.I wonder how much you can get for one of those medallions...lol.There whole spill was go to playubt for your chance to be on tv......ya right when ubt gets cancelled.

8. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

I'll trade you a keyboard holder for it! :laugh:

9. pokernut

pokernut New Member

Any one want a Escalade Accudart Winmau Blade II Bristle Dartboard, for sale or trade.

10. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Come on, guys, Stubbs is obviously (& righteously) pi**ed off.

I wondered when we would hear from him. I had noticed that both of "his" shows were missing from that list.
    Give 'em hell, Stubbs, they've got it coming.

11. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Not if you read your contract! Seriously

12. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Now, Fred, don't get me started again on what's in the contract vs. what would have been the right thing to do. :whip:

13. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Ok let's put it this way - concerning the "right thing to do"

1. Air the "implied" Season 2 taped episodes, including St. Kitts, Aruba, and the internet tables. In doing so you run into complications with UIGEA since Bet21.com (an illegal site to US players) is the major sponsor of both St. Kitts and Aruba. In addition it would provide several "big mouths" more ammunition about the non-payment of promised deposit bonus money. In addition the unknow internet player table(s) would have people scratching their heads - who the heck are these people? :confused: This would result in unfavorable "feedback" for ClubUBT membership, reduced income levels and finally cash flow problems with the strong possibility of not enough money to pay CBS for Season 3

or

2. Air the staged "pro" players from BJ & Poker worlds, giving viewers a glimpse of recognized names and thereby favorable/implied ClubUBT endorsement. This would result in more ClubUBT membership, increased income, not as much cash flow problem and the stong possibility of a UBT Season 3

Now Imagine that you're an investor in UBT. Which option is "doing the right thing to you?"

Remember all participants have already been paid!

14. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Apparently you don't understand the real issue here, either.

Not going to belabor points that have been beaten to death already.

Not going to start this fight back up again.

AM going to point out that the only other person who can't seem to understand the real issue is a certain UBT rep who only posts on the LVA site. :eek:

15. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

Wrong. There are the other "silent", possibly majority, that do get the real issue but choose to stay out of the discussion. It's just that fgk42 is more vocal and of course he's right. I only posted this so you know others are watching but not participating in this thread and I, for one, will leave the defense to fgk42 - go get 'um :whip: .

16. BJFAN4

BJFAN4 New Member

Who speaks for UBT?

8/23/07 LVA forum

Puppetmaster:How can he (Joe Pane) be a spokesperson for Bet21, UB, and ClubUBT ?

Anthony (Curtis): Joe's not the official spokesperson.

17. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Whoa there! Me Right? :eek:

I speak for no one except myself. My posts are just my opinions based upon what I would do if I had a financial interest in UBT - which I don't

I'm vocal - sometimes to a fault - but that's how I learn. And most importantly if given enough facts and all sides of the story I have been known to change my position.

With regard to Season 2 of UBT - I really do feel sorry for those players who unknowingly assumed that their episodes would be aired. I believe that if UBT had an OFFICIAL player representative/spokesperson to the BJT community a majority of these "problems" would have been avoided. JMO

18. david matthews

david matthews New Member

I've never lost a round of a blackjack tournament wearing that purple shirt. I really only break it out for emergency purposes only.