What's my bet?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Billy C, Oct 5, 2009.

1. garygo

garygo New Member

Card-counting at a tournament? I don't think it is worthwhile considering its limited rounds and other more important factors. But if you can juggle it along with chip counting, play strategies and betting strategies, you are truly a talented player. ;)

Also, if the count is at a level that makes hitting hard 17 very risky, it also means it is more likely for the dealer to make a hand, doesn't it? If the dealer makes a hand, regardless of what card total he reaches, you are out with you hard 17. In this situation, should we hit our hard 17 or just stand? Certainly a hard call. Personally I prefer to treat it as if it was a stiff and hit one more time.

This is the beauty of blackjack tournament - one small episode offers extensive aspects and points. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

No, again

Positive counts means that the UNDEALT cards consist of more big and less small meaning higher risk of busting for both the players AND the dealer.
    As far as counting in tourneys goes, there are several other threads in the archives here that you might want to read regarding that subject.
    Most, including myself, feel that the value is small. My contention is that if it's a habit anyway, why not do it? Because just about all events use funny money the penetration is typically far greater which also aids the counters.

Billy C

3. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Also

My posts numbers 18 and 20 look contradictory regarding the count. That's because of 7s, 8s and 9s which are neutral cards in the HiLo system. Very, very, very few of them had shown (to the point that I was almost convinced I would hit one of them to my hard 12). So much for being "almost convinced"!

Billy C

4. garygo

garygo New Member

Oh yes you are right. When count is high you do need to stop on your hard 17, hoping dealer bust. :laugh:

However, is it also easier for his 10 upcard to make a hand higher than 17 - suffice to lock you out - with many high cards left in the deck, including those 7, 8, 9 which have not yet shown? Sounds like a dilemma :) By the way, if the dealer showed a small upcard, then his chance of busting at high count would be higher than his picture card, wouldn't it?

But if we do not consider the counting factor, I still think hitting 17 one more time as if it was a stiff is the correct play in this situation.

What does Monkey think about it?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009