World Poker Tour moving channels

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by TXtourplayer, Apr 6, 2007.

1. BJFAN4

BJFAN4 New Member

OK. We will be watching.

By the way, is the lawsuit between UBT and GSN still on or has it been settled amicably?:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Joep

Joep Active Member

Kevin first off thank you for providing your expert analysis of the inner workings of TV and its rating system.

As mentioned in a previous post by me good luck with your new TV show WPT a good show and one that will only get better with you at the wheel.Your passion for gaming shows is well known and the WPT is finally at a network that will use it appeal and its already built in audience to its maximum effect.

My question to you is if you were a CBS executive what would your professional opinion be on the UBT show and the ratings that it did receive in its first season in that particular time spot and day?

Now to a point that I may be wrong on but it seems to me that Christmas day is a family day and a day that members of families and close friends are traveling to and from each others homes exchanging gifts and holiday wishes.Not a day where the average home would be watching TV.So I believe that the ratings that the UBT show did receive on this day is actually lower than it would have been if not for it being Christmas day and competing with an NFL game on top of that.

Now to a point that I agree with you 100% on. 3 years ago this board was a great place to learn from and to share information and solve or post tournament teasers with some of the best players in the world if I may say so.

But as of late a few new members and one or two old members have created an atmosphere that even had me leave for almost 3 months.Enough said !!!

I look forward to your answer to my question on the UBT show on CBS

Joep

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  3. KBelinkoff

KBelinkoff New Member

I don't think it would be fair for me to speculate on what CBS should or shouldn't do, not because it's UBT but because I just don't know enough about the particulars in what CBS wants from the show. My guess is that the people behind the UBT don't really care about ratings as much as they do getting people to participate in their tournaments. And CBS has to weigh the opportunities this show offers them in comparison to other options. So I really can't say what either party should or shouldn't do.

As for Christmas, as I mentioned, it's an odd day ratings-wise and you'll see a lot of flucuation from time period to time period and within the day. But HUT levels (households using television) are higher than usual for that daypart. That affords an opportunity for higher ratings, and gaming shows have been successful counterprogramming to sports, particularly the NFL. Christmas or otherwise, a good ratings story for Blackjack is a win for everyone. Hopefully there will be a lot more blackjack on television in years to come...

4. Joep

Joep Active Member

Kevin I wasn't asking you to speculate at all about what CBS should do.I was asking if you were the CBS executive with the decision on the future of the show based upon its ratings in that time slot,what would your decision most likely be for the show.

Joep

5. KBelinkoff

KBelinkoff New Member

I just can't answer that. I don't have all the information...and outside the people at UBT and CBS I don't think anyone really does in order to make that kind of decision.

6. Joep

Joep Active Member

Ok Kevin thanks for your time and expertise

Joep

7. david matthews

david matthews New Member

Enlightening and interesting insights from a television executive. Thanks for sharing KB.

8. tgun

tgun Member

Gsn

Thanks Kevin for the informative posts. GSN's WSOB is the main reason I up-graded from the "basic channels". But I find myself watching other GSN shows lately.

tgun

9. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Thanks again, Kevin. We sure enjoy reading some inside scoop from someone who knows.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to watch the WPT or the WSOB because our local cable system just pitched GSN (and ESPN Classic, of all things) off of our channel lineup. :flame: